• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

international divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rvpkim

I live in FL and my spouse lives in the netherlands. We want to divorce, but dutch law is very long and drawn out. Can I file for divorce in FL even if we were married in NL?

LdiJ

I live in FL and my spouse lives in the netherlands. We want to divorce, but dutch law is very long and drawn out. Can I file for divorce in FL even if we were married in NL?
If you have lived in FL for at least six months, then you can file for divorce in FL. It doesn't matter where you got married.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you have lived in FL for at least six months, then you can file for divorce in FL. It doesn't matter where you got married.
And will FL have jurisdiction OVER the spouse in the Netherlands? That is not guaranteed. If the spouse is properly served and fights it there may not be minimal contacts. Whereas OP has minimal contacts with the Netherlands.

LdiJ

And will FL have jurisdiction OVER the spouse in the Netherlands? That is not guaranteed. If the spouse is properly served and fights it there may not be minimal contacts. Whereas OP has minimal contacts with the Netherlands.
She can still get divorced. The judge may be unable to make rulings on property settlements or child custody, but she can get divorced.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She can still get divorced. The judge may be unable to make rulings on property settlements or child custody, but she can get divorced.
NOT if the spouse fights jurisdiction. If the spouse fights jurisdiction then she will not. Granted that may not happen but if it does the she WILL NOT get a divorce as the court will HAVE NOT JURISDICTION to decide anything regarding her spouse and his life -- including his marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">