• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International probate issues?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bigj0110

First off I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section I feel like this is the best place to put my situation.

So my grandmother passed away in Florida and she was a German citizen with a US Green Card and owned a condo in Florida where I was born. My dad who is a US citizen went through probate court in Florida and took over her estate including getting access to her bank account and apartment that she rented in Germany. Which by the way he completely finished probate court.

We ended up closing out the apartment that she was renting in Germany which was fairly easy. But now we're having issues accessing the bank account in Germany. We ended up talking to a lawyer from the bank in Germany and submitting every document that he requested from my dad including the certificate of inheritance. Now that we did that the lawyer seems to be ignoring my dad completely and then when we do send emails to him he sends us a generic automated email in German saying that he'll get back to us soon. My dad also has a really good friend in Germany that called the lawyer as well and was trying to help us with the process, but the lawyer wouldn't say much to him and then another time he was out of town.

So now I'm coming on here seeing what advice you would recommend for us to take? Because it's my understanding that because she passed away in Florida. A Florida judge has to make a ruling which he already did and I'm entitled to access the bank account in Germany. Which is included in the estate including specifically written out in the documents.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The German bank is going to go by German law, not a U.S. court ruling. You need that German lawyer to sort out what German requires you to do to get the account transferred.

Bigj0110

The German bank is going to go by German law, not a U.S. court ruling. You need that German lawyer to sort out what German requires you to do to get the account transferred.
Thanks for replying back to me.

So he told us that we're going to need certain documents and we submitted every document he wanted. Even multiple different shipments through UPS. Which now after we submitted supposably every document he requested he's completely ignoring us (which it's been awhile now). So I mean we submitted multiple apostille's, certificate of inheritance from the USA, death certificate from Florida, and a bunch of other documents he wanted. Which really that's the main problem that he's ignoring us after we submitted every document he wanted exactly how he wanted and if it needed to be translated into German for example it was done as well.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">