• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Wire transfer error by intermediary bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jllanten

Good morning:

I would like to know if somebody can provide me some help with this:

I'm canadian and sent a wire from BMO (Bank of Montreal) to a bank in Colombia by using Wells Fargo as intermediary bank.

My problem is that according to BMO, the intermediary bank sent the money to the incorrect bank in Colombia. (i still can;t understand how they can make such an error if they have names and addresses on the wire form). They insist that the bank in Colombia must send back the money

I checked in Colombia and the bank says nothing has arrived and that everything must be done with the original sender bank (the canadian one).

Does somebody knows a person, phone number or something i might call in Wells Fargo to try to see where is my money ? it's 11k

I fear that it might get lost as "officially" BMO says that they are not responsible for error they don't make. And in this case It wasn't them but a a third party who made the mistake. me, mot being a Wells Fargo customer i'm afraid they will ignore me. Is there some regulator i can ask for help ?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Good morning:

I would like to know if somebody can provide me some help with this:

I'm canadian and sent a wire from BMO (Bank of Montreal) to a bank in Colombia by using Wells Fargo as intermediary bank.

My problem is that according to BMO, the intermediary bank sent the money to the incorrect bank in Colombia. (i still can;t understand how they can make such an error if they have names and addresses on the wire form). They insist that the bank in Colombia must send back the money

I checked in Colombia and the bank says nothing has arrived and that everything must be done with the original sender bank (the canadian one).

Does somebody knows a person, phone number or something i might call in Wells Fargo to try to see where is my money ? it's 11k

I fear that it might get lost as "officially" BMO says that they are not responsible for error they don't make. And in this case It wasn't them but a a third party who made the mistake. me, mot being a Wells Fargo customer i'm afraid they will ignore me. Is there some regulator i can ask for help ?

This has nothing to do with US Law. Sorry.

jllanten

This has nothing to do with US Law. Sorry.
Even if the intermediary bank, an american one (Wells Fargo) made an error and sent the wire to an incorrect account ?

Not the same case but for example, some years ago i had a similar issue with a flight ticket with Delta Airlines also involving three countries (departing from canada, stopping in USA, final landing in Colombia). My only solution in that case was asking the Aviation consumer agency/division from the DOT. Does some USA regulator can check my case because of the error the american bank made ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even if the intermediary bank, an american one (Wells Fargo) made an error and sent the wire to an incorrect account ?

Not the same case but for example, some years ago i had a similar issue with a flight ticket with Delta Airlines also involving three countries (departing from canada, stopping in USA, final landing in Colombia). My only solution in that case was asking the Aviation consumer agency/division from the DOT. Does some USA regulator can check my case because of the error the american bank made ?
Even if.

FlyingRon

As pointed out, this is not a US law problem.

The bank in Colombia is right, it is the responsibility of the SENDING bank to correct this and they are really the only ones who can instigate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">