• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Chat Room Police Sting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcavinee

PA
Friend was traveling through PA stopped over at hotel fro evening only to be lured into a chat room from a police officer. Relative did converse with the alledged 14 year old and went to the park to meet. Arriving at the park, relative changed his mind and left and then unmarked patrol cars surrounded him and arrested him and charged him with 21 charges. DA through out 20 and left the internet chat room one for trial. Question. He refused to bail out at the advice of the Public Defender as this would look better on his case if he remained in jail. He was in solidary confinement for two weeks, removed to a corectional facility and serving 30 additional days awaiting arraignment. Lawyer said making a deal is better than trial because juries always side with prosecution in a internet case. Megans Law seems so unfair which basically puts every sexual offender in the same category and basically ruins their life for 15 years. No crime was committed except talking on the internet, no such person existed, no physical contact ever made, and he most likely will have this law around his neck. Anyone with a similiar situation that could give some advice?
email [email protected]

cyjeff

So, your "friend" chatted up a 14 year old, went to meet said 14 year old for sex, got arrested and now is complaining that the punishment may be too harsh.

Tell your friend to get used to the idea of making minimum wage.

Tell your "friend" that my only regret is that his sentence isn't more harsh.

cyjeff

By the way, the reason that juries side with the prosecution in this case is that after a transcript of the chat is read to them, the jury is so nauseated that they want to string up your "friend" by whatever body part would hurt most.

Perky

I'm not sure who is more stupid, you or your friend.
Agreed. OP, you might want to remove your email address, as it allows any interested party to read your resume online.

I am a little disturbed by your defense of your friend in light of your experience in "protective services." Actually, I'm A LOT disturbed!

Antigone*

PA
Friend was traveling through PA stopped over at hotel fro evening only to be lured into a chat room from a police officer. Relative did converse with the alledged 14 year old and went to the park to meet. Arriving at the park, relative changed his mind and left and then unmarked patrol cars surrounded him and arrested him and charged him with 21 charges. DA through out 20 and left the internet chat room one for trial. Question. He refused to bail out at the advice of the Public Defender as this would look better on his case if he remained in jail. He was in solidary confinement for two weeks, removed to a corectional facility and serving 30 additional days awaiting arraignment. Lawyer said making a deal is better than trial because juries always side with prosecution in a internet case. Megans Law seems so unfair which basically puts every sexual offender in the same category and basically ruins their life for 15 years. No crime was committed except talking on the internet, no such person existed, no physical contact ever made, and he most likely will have this law around his neck. Anyone with a similiar situation that could give some advice?
email [email protected]
Your "relative is a sicko" and you are just as sick for not seeing the severity of what he's done.

Give me a break...they forced his fingers to the mouse, held a gun to his head, and made him click and type obscenitites:confused: I THINK NOT

cyjeff

Your "relative is a sicko" and you are just as sick for not seeing the severity of what he's done.

Give me a break...they forced his fingers to the mouse, held a gun to his head, and made him click and type obscenitites:confused: I THINK NOT
Don't forget... and then driving to meet her.

Apparently, the OP is trying the old "well, he wasn't a molester because the girl didn't show up" ploy.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Don't forget... and then driving to meet her.

Apparently, the OP is trying the old "well, he wasn't a molester because the girl didn't show up" ploy.
Which continues to fail to free any of these (alleged) molesters. :p

MoneyShot

I'm with the others here, Paul... errr, OP. How can you defend such actions? Are things that liberal in Akron, errr.. your unspecified mid-Western city? And you with a degree as Mastery of Minstry in Religion, too, getting caught, errr... the "friend" of someone getting caught, doing these things! I hope no one's calling you at (330) 604-34xx expressing their opinions directly (cough, cough, eightone, cough, cough, cough...).

As far as Akron is from my home, and with the infrequency that I travel thorugh PA these days, it's still too close for comfort.

Have you ever met Chris Hansen? No? Well, I guess it's a matter of time and you will. Tell the folks at Dateline we're all big fans out here.

"Outstanding References Available Upon Request"

You Are Guilty

I'm with the others here, Paul... errr, OP. How can you defend such actions? Are things that liberal in Akron, errr.. your unspecified mid-Western city? And you with a degree as Mastery of Minstry in Religion, too, getting caught, errr... the "friend" of someone getting caught, doing these things! I hope no one's calling you at (330) 604-34xx expressing their opinions directly (cough, cough, eightone, cough, cough, cough...).

As far as Akron is from my home, and with the infrequency that I travel thorugh PA these days, it's still too close for comfort.

Have you ever met Chris Hansen? No? Well, I guess it's a matter of time and you will. Tell the folks at Dateline we're all big fans out here.

"Outstanding References Available Upon Request"
I'm nominating this for Best Reply of 2008. lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">