• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hairgal77

My son was questioned by the police yesterday. I did not go with him so I don't know all the details. He is 21 and was questioned about his contact with a 12 year old girl. He was not arrested but they confiscated his phone and questioned him for two hours. He admitted to talking to her and continuing to even after she disclosed her age. Also pics were exchanged prior to his knowing her age. I don't know of what but I imagine it wasn't her pretty face. He was warned that everything he does on his phone and online can be tracked. Also just an fyi, I did not raise him. I don't want to rescue him, but I do want to understand what he is facing so I can help him work through this. Wondering if there is such a thing as entrapment if she has a history of doing this.

Just Blue

My son was questioned by the police yesterday. I did not go with him so I don't know all the details. He is 21 and was questioned about his contact with a 12 year old girl. He was not arrested but they confiscated his phone and questioned him for two hours. He admitted to talking to her and continuing to even after she disclosed her age. Also pics were exchanged prior to his knowing her age. I don't know of what but I imagine it wasn't her pretty face. He was warned that everything he does on his phone and online can be tracked. Also just an fyi, I did not raise him. I don't want to rescue him, but I do want to understand what he is facing so I can help him work through this. Wondering if there is such a thing as entrapment if she has a history of doing this.
Hire him a good attorney and don't post his very serious criminal case on the net. He wasn't entrapped ...he was sexting a little girl. She is 12...a very young child. HE is an adult. Do NOT try to excuse his perversion with "it's all her fault...she does this all the time" crap. He is looking at prison time and life on the sex offenders registry.

Hairgal77

@Just Blue i am in no way making excuses or defending his actions. When I said he was warned about his actions on the internet it was not by the police it was by myself and other members of my family. I only asked about entrapment because i thought i heard something about it before and I wanted to know more. He got himself in this mess i just want to help him understand what he is facing. I thought I non judgemental legal forum would give me some insight.

quincy

@Just Blue i am in no way making excuses or defending his actions. When I said he was warned about his actions on the internet it was not by the police it was by myself and other members of my family. I only asked about entrapment because i thought i heard something about it before and I wanted to know more. He got himself in this mess i just want to help him understand what he is facing.
What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

@Just Blue i am in no way making excuses or defending his actions. When I said he was warned about his actions on the internet it was not by the police it was by myself and other members of my family. I only asked about entrapment because i thought i heard something about it before and I wanted to know more. He got himself in this mess i just want to help him understand what he is facing.
I don't know the state this is in...but in all the U.S. it is against the law for a 21 year old to do what your son did. It called pedophilia. He is facing prison time and sex offender registration. I HIGHLY suggest your son seek help to control his proclivities. Do not let him be alone with any child under the age of 18.

PayrollHRGuy

There is no reason to think this would be a case of entrapment.

NH Entrapment Law
Universal Citation: NH Rev Stat § 626:5 (1996 through Reg Sess)

626:5 Entrapment. – It is an affirmative defense that the actor committed the offense because he was induced or encouraged to do so by a law enforcement official or by a person acting in cooperation with a law enforcement official, for the purpose of obtaining evidence against him and when the methods used to obtain such evidence were such as to create a substantial risk that the offense would be committed by a person not otherwise disposed to commit it. However, conduct merely affording a person an opportunity to commit an offense does not constitute entrapment.

quincy

New Hampshire
Thank you for providing the name of your state.

Your son should have a good criminal defense attorney working for him. I am afraid he has already erred in speaking to the police without an attorney.

He should not speak to the police again, nor should he discuss the matter with anyone but his attorney - including you.

Here is a link to a video that your son should watch - a lecture from the Regent University School of Law titled "Don't Talk to the Police:"

Your son is facing serious charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">