• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Extortion & Check Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tc2244482

California

My minor daughter’s bank account was recently put under restricted access after being placed on fraud alert due to a fraudulent check that she tried to deposit. The bank did not ever make the funds available, and no attempt to use the funds were made. After being alerted to what happened, my wife and I had a discussion with her where she confessed to having received threatening emails with every specific and personal information about the family with threats of harm if she didn’t deposit said check and purchase gift cards to send back. Was told not to tell anyone, otherwise they would find out. Unfortunately she believed this, based on the level of information they shared. Also unfortunate, she deleted most of the emails (as was instructed to do by perp), and all of the messages threatening bodily harm. Only existing email contains a picture of the check she was to deposit and the unknown email address associated with it. Where it gets tricky is that my daughter made attempts to get the check cleared when she realized that it hadn’t posted. She signed a statement at the bank stating that the check was received for money owed by this unknown individual. As it stands, the bank has in its possession a written statement from my daughter attempting to explain a fraudulent check. Therefore, one would argue that while this incident involves 'victim consent', it was done so illegally and under duress. Unfortunately we can't provide any proof of threats of physical violence as this happened 5-6 weeks ago and google trash permanently deletes after 30 days. Too bad the bank never notified the financially liable party on the account (her mother) that anything was amiss when we COULD have retrieved the trash.

In order to 'open the account', the bank requires a written statement from us/daughter as to exactly what happened before they will open the account back up. A factual written account would include recognition that my daughter physically visited the bank and submitted a false written statement of the origin and purpose of the fraudulent check. My concern is that this written ‘letter of explanation’ to the bank could open us to greater liability (criminal or financial), and without supporting evidence to show that she was being threatened with violence...it seems that we could open ourselves to significant liability. Uncertain of next steps. Simply attempt to close the account? Inquire with the bank to determine what actions they plan to take? A carefully worded explanation? No prior issues with said daughter, and we have been reputable members of said bank for 20+ years. Guidance appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your daughter is an admitted liar. You just need to figure out what she's lying about...
You should probably consult with an attorney.

quincy

California

My minor daughter’s bank account was recently put under restricted access after being placed on fraud alert due to a fraudulent check that she tried to deposit. The bank did not ever make the funds available, and no attempt to use the funds were made. After being alerted to what happened, my wife and I had a discussion with her where she confessed to having received threatening emails with every specific and personal information about the family with threats of harm if she didn’t deposit said check and purchase gift cards to send back. Was told not to tell anyone, otherwise they would find out. Unfortunately she believed this, based on the level of information they shared. Also unfortunate, she deleted most of the emails (as was instructed to do by perp), and all of the messages threatening bodily harm. Only existing email contains a picture of the check she was to deposit and the unknown email address associated with it. Where it gets tricky is that my daughter made attempts to get the check cleared when she realized that it hadn’t posted. She signed a statement at the bank stating that the check was received for money owed by this unknown individual. As it stands, the bank has in its possession a written statement from my daughter attempting to explain a fraudulent check. Therefore, one would argue that while this incident involves 'victim consent', it was done so illegally and under duress. Unfortunately we can't provide any proof of threats of physical violence as this happened 5-6 weeks ago and google trash permanently deletes after 30 days. Too bad the bank never notified the financially liable party on the account (her mother) that anything was amiss when we COULD have retrieved the trash.

In order to 'open the account', the bank requires a written statement from us/daughter as to exactly what happened before they will open the account back up. A factual written account would include recognition that my daughter physically visited the bank and submitted a false written statement of the origin and purpose of the fraudulent check. My concern is that this written ‘letter of explanation’ to the bank could open us to greater liability (criminal or financial), and without supporting evidence to show that she was being threatened with violence...it seems that we could open ourselves to significant liability. Uncertain of next steps. Simply attempt to close the account? Inquire with the bank to determine what actions they plan to take? A carefully worded explanation? No prior issues with said daughter, and we have been reputable members of said bank for 20+ years. Guidance appreciated.
Your daughter/you should speak to an attorney before speaking again to the bank.

I think you would be smart to cancel your daughter’s bank account as she apparently is not able to handle one responsibly.

I think you should be glad that your bank noticed the activity on your daughter’s account and restricted access to it.

LdiJ

Your daughter/you should speak to an attorney before speaking again to the bank.
I didn't get the impression that the bank was considering any legal action against the child.

I think you would be smart to cancel your daughter’s bank account as she apparently is not able to handle one responsibly.
Perhaps cancelling her internet access (other than for school) might be more appropriate. She got conned by a predator threatening her family.

quincy

I didn't get the impression that the bank was considering any legal action against the child.

Perhaps cancelling her internet access (other than for school) might be more appropriate. She got conned by a predator threatening her family.
I read the post differently.

The bank is asking the daughter to write a statement admitting that she deposited a fraudulent check. An attorney should be consulted before admitting to anything.

Dandy Don

It appears she was the victim of a scam and it is okay for you to mention that when you are explaining your situation to the bank. Do some online research on the name of the payee/(person or company's name she was instructed to pay) to see if there is a record of other people similarly victimized. Even though you say email trash deletes after 30 days, you should still be contacting gmail to explain what has happened and ask if they can investigate to produce the emails that were deleted so you can decide whether you want to use them as evidence.

Look up the routing number online (the digits appearing at the bottom of the check) to determine which country the check originated from.

quincy

It appears she was the victim of a scam. Do some online research on the name of the payee/(person or company's name she was instructed to pay) to see if there is a record of other people similarly victimized. Even though you say email trash deletes after 30 days, you should still be contacting gmail to explain what has happened and ask if they can investigate to produce the emails that were deleted so you can use them as evidence.

Look up the routing number online (the digits appearing at the bottom of the check) to determine which country the check originated from.
Unfortunately, in trying to get the check to clear, the daughter made a statement to the bank saying that the check was to cover money she was owed.

Although the daughter might have been the victim of a scam, it is also possible that she is the one who tried to scam the bank by cashing a fraudulent check. Deleting all correspondence that might lend support to her claims seems suspicious at best.

I suspect the bank has investigated the origin of the check.

Whatever the truth, the parents would be very smart to turn the matter over to an attorney, before they do any independent investigation.

And, I agree with LdiJ, that the parents should restrict their daughter’s internet use.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is this child 18 years of age or older? And quite frankly, the parents are now witnesses against their daughter.

LdiJ

There is a juvenile justice system for a reason. Juveniles commit crimes.
Yes, but most of those crimes are impulsive and not well thought out. Most minors wouldn't have the capability either to create a counterfeit check. Its far more likely that she was intimidated by a predator or otherwise conned herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">