• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Gaming Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

losabill

California

This is in regards to Internet Gaming Laws... I'm developing an online contest where visitors answer multiple choice questions for cash (all visitors pay into the pot). One question, however, out of 15, is deemed the 'mega number' because it depends on the outcome of an event, such as sports or other. To win, the visitor must answer all questions correctly, including the guessing the outcome correctly.

Is this game legal in CA, or should I consider moving the servers out of state? If so, which states will allow such a game?

HomeGuru

losabill said:
California

This is in regards to Internet Gaming Laws... I'm developing an online contest where visitors answer multiple choice questions for cash (all visitors pay into the pot). One question, however, out of 15, is deemed the 'mega number' because it depends on the outcome of an event, such as sports or other. To win, the visitor must answer all questions correctly, including the guessing the outcome correctly.

Is this game legal in CA, or should I consider moving the servers out of state? If so, which states will allow such a game?
**A: this is a form of gambling in disguise.

L

losabill

Internet Game

Thanks for your posting!!!
But... it's a skill-based game because of the multiple choice questions... it just so happens the winners receive cash prizes. I understand that chance games are more like gambling... why is skill in this case considered gambling.... because of the cash prize?

HomeGuru

Re: Internet Game

losabill said:
Thanks for your posting!!!
But... it's a skill-based game because of the multiple choice questions... it just so happens the winners receive cash prizes. I understand that chance games are more like gambling... why is skill in this case considered gambling.... because of the cash prize?
**A: Ok, let's leave everything in your scenario the same except there is no charge to play.

H

hexeliebe

But... it's a skill-based game
I love this guy.

and what the hell do you think basketball, football, baseball, golf, poker, blackjack and anything else that's illegal to wager on is?

geeez, it's too bad you didn't post this a month ago. You might have won the Free Advice Stupid Post of the Year contest :D

L

losabill

Gaming Question

You guys are a bunch off little girls!

A simple answer as "you'll need a lawyer" or "set your servers up in another country" or anything other than "I'm an idiot" would've have suffice, but you had to go and offend me over a little post!

It was an innocent post, girls! No wonder you freaks hide in forums all day --- because your wise-ass remarks would get you slapped in the street is my opinion...

Thanks again, girls! I'll be sure to avoid this board in the future.

H

hexeliebe

Hey dumbass, ever think WHY you were never told "you need a lawyer" or to "Set up your servers in another country"?

Could it have to do with the fact that what you are contemplating is ILLEGAL and no lawyer will lose his license over your pennyante crap.

Oh, and by the way, setting up your servers in another country won't save you either. The U.S. has already decided this issue. So, if you set your servers up in South Africa, for example, and someone in the U.S. goes online to play your 'game' you can be sued in the U.S.

Yep, it's not only where the servers are located but where they can be reached from.

in other words, YOU LOSE.

Now, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

HomeGuru

Re: Gaming Question

losabill said:
You guys are a bunch off little girls!

A simple answer as "you'll need a lawyer" or "set your servers up in another country" or anything other than "I'm an idiot" would've have suffice, but you had to go and offend me over a little post!

It was an innocent post, girls! No wonder you freaks hide in forums all day --- because your wise-ass remarks would get you slapped in the street is my opinion...

Thanks again, girls! I'll be sure to avoid this board in the future.
**A: hey loserbill, yeah that's right you. Your username is loserbill since you're not as clever as you thought. An illegal gambling website and you want the users to lose a bill. How creative. We got a new name for you too: loseridiot.

L

losabill

Online Gaming

Now we resort to name calling?

Well, Mr. Dumbass, over 60 percent of online betting sites are run by US citizens... How do I know this? Because my family runs a legal online betting site from the U.K. I was merely finding out the differences between "game of chance" vs "game of skill" as it is defined in US Laws. Instead, I come across someone as stupid as you. Furthermore, my site is already up and running in the U.K. and Australia, however I'm looking to expand my venture into American market... Also, in some US states, if "skill" excedes "chance", then it becomes a legal contest, such as in Ariz;. Hence, my game is perfectly legal as it stands.

Now, I must request that you stop with your insults... Otherwise, I will trace your IP address, file a complaint, and take legal action against you personally as I've stated in this posting to halt your name calling and contacting me. End of story!

Have a good day!

HomeGuru

Re: Online Gaming

Originally posted by losabill

Also, in some US states, if "skill" excedes "chance"

**A: what kind of word is excedes?
Now, I must request that you stop with your insults... Otherwise, I will trace your IP address, file a complaint, and take legal action against you personally as I've stated in this posting to halt your name calling and contacting me. End of story!

**A: Hahaha, go right ahead you IDIOT! You are so stupid and ignorant. You expect us to believe your big fat lies? You have no idea what you are talking about.
And you are going to trace MY address? Too funny.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Hey IdiotBill, here's a lesson in threats 101. Most people who use this forum use dial-up accounts. That means they are assigned a NEW IP address each and every time they log onto the internet.

So, brainiac, the best you'll be able to do is find the ISP Router range of IP addresses.

Now, if the user has DSL and is not using a three-phase router (guess who does by the way :D) then they are assigned a permanent IP which you MIGHT be able to hack into.

Still, to find that IP you'd have to do a TraceRoute and then know what you're reading. Of course, IP spoofing and running off any port besides 80 would screw that up for you unless you have the technology to Finger each and every IP that the roundtrip produces.

And in my case, it would take you 1,293 years with a Pentium IV with a 2 Ghz CPU and 120 Mhz board clockspeed to run through all the permetations available.

Unless you used to work for one of the Government agencies with ominous initials who could do it in about 3 days.

So, now who is the loser?

F

Fly-Swatter

hexeliebe said:
Hey IdiotBill, here's a lesson in threats 101. Most people who use this forum use dial-up accounts. That means they are assigned a NEW IP address each and every time they log onto the internet.

So, brainiac, the best you'll be able to do is find the ISP Router range of IP addresses.

Now, if the user has DSL and is not using a three-phase router (guess who does by the way :D) then they are assigned a permanent IP which you MIGHT be able to hack into.

Still, to find that IP you'd have to do a TraceRoute an

I am amazed at how stupid you are.

You are so wrong, but let's get beyond that point.

The poster is right, you are wrong.

Dial up means nothing, and I'm happy DSL reached your Gated secured home, but it's been around for some time.

You, IAAL, and HG will see the end of this site. You are not an attorney, nor is HG. IAAL is a question, the internet can make him a pretend lawyer, not that hard.

He was asked to post his renewal form and chose not to.

Poster, don't mess with these idiots, they are on here 24 seven, and what does that say?

No Lives, just words.

H

hexeliebe

How much do you want to 'bet' this forum lasts a hell of a lot longer than you do fly-squatter? I'm even giving 100 to 1 odds.

And by the way, don't preach to me about the internet. You are more than welcome to try to post any information you want about me. All you have to do is find my REAL IP address, Map that to an internal network card within a range of available addresses, do a whois lookup on who owns that 'range' and then somehow crack their user database to find out who is assigned that specific IP.

Oh hell, I'll even give you a hint. The backend database used is Oracle with 256-bit encryption and Triple DES alogrythm.

And when you get that inevitable knock on the door tell them I said it was o.k. to try. :D

But you did tell this poster one bit of useful information. Don't bother with us. It's a losing proposition and since he (and you) are losers, you don't need us to remind you.

By the way, YOU post anything that proves you are qualified to answer any legal question. It's easy to goad someone else into proving who they are when you too hide behind a computer. So? Got the balls?

I thought not.

H

hexeliebe

and I'm happy DSL reached your Gated secured home
Oh by the way, WRONG AGAIN!

It's not a gated secured home. It's a gated, patrolled and very secure ESTATE dumbass.

And where did I ever say I have DSL? The specific statement was ...

Now, if the user has DSL and is not using a three-phase router (guess who does by the way ) then they are assigned a permanent IP which you MIGHT be able to hack into.
I use VPN to connect to the internet through a previous employer for whom I still do 'assignments' from time to time. And the router I use to connect uses a security program I wrote to reassign my IP every 15 seconds, so that if someone tries to locate it, they'll find themselves chasing their tail.

Now, you might wonder who has such equipment and why would they have it? Well, wonder away punk. Or you might ask those nice people who come knocking on your door if you want to try breaking into my system :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">