• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

internet law (are URL's copyrighted)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bourque

am thinking of writing a book, are web page addresses copyrighted? do you have to get permission to simply list web page addresses? i know the content of the pages are copyrighted. Appreciate if you could help

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bourque:
am thinking of writing a book, are web page addresses copyrighted? do you have to get permission to simply list web page addresses? i know the content of the pages are copyrighted. Appreciate if you could help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

URL addresses are "owned." They are not copyrighted. The owner has a property interest in the URL and may sell the same to any interested buyer. On your website, you might want to list another's URL as a "link" to further information. That's okay to do. Like the address of your home, each URL is unique. That way, someone clicking on your URL (or address) is assured of getting to your site, and yours alone.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 05, 2000).]

B

bourque

do you think one would need permission to put URL in a publication?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bourque:
do you think one would need permission to put URL in a publication?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

While it's always good form to inform someone how you're intending to use their address, there is no law requiring you to do so. Beyond the ownership rights of the URL and a persons Web Site pages, the Internet is public, and as such is there for everyone's usage; i.e., nothing is "private" on the Internet (with few limitations) and you are free to publish whatever you want about it. As a matter of fact, the owner of the URL would probably love you for it, if his/her site depends on advertising hits.

Have a good time.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

M

memaul

thank you for your advice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
By all means please put my URL in your book. www.theemall.vstorestuff.com I can allways use free ads :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">