• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

galley

What is the name of your state?
Georgia

We have had a personal profile up on a social website that acts as an introduction facility for people to get to know each other. We have been actively and positively involved with this online community for about two years now. We are well known on this site, have cultivated many good friends and hosted numerous functions. A person we know through this site became extremely jealous of the fact that we do not invite him to our socials and created a trial profile. He then proceeded to send a devastatingly slanderous email to all our listed online friends, some of who are on the board of directors at one of the social clubs we belong to. The email accuses us of having a communicable disease. We know who the person in question is and have friends in this community confirming him voicing these exact accusations in conversations to them. Our social events are now met with disastrous turnouts and when we attend the any functions the atmosphere around us is strained. This email has now reached beyond the people in this online community and has started to effect our work environment.

I am passed being shocked and upset. Now I just want to get the little son of a B***!

M

mreman

So, basically you are a swinger and none of your swinger buddies want to show up because you have the heebie jeebies? Who cares? Maybe all your effort into "getting this son a of a B" should be put into finding a psycologist who can help you find out why you are in such need of physical attention...did daddy not hug you enough? Or did he hug you TOO much?

jmeloow

just a thought...

Seems to me your best course of action would be to review the terms of use of the internet site that you use and report the action to them... they could probably use an IP address or something and ban access, or at the very least delete the accounts that belong to the person... if they agree with your claim.
I don't think you'd have much luck in court with this, especially concerning the anonymous nature of the emails.... you'd have to prove that "longjohn12" is the person you are suing... and you aren't going to be able to do that.
However... if the statements made have somehow made it into your workplace and has effected you there in a damaging way... you might have something. The process will bring you more grief than it is worth though. If these friends of yours are real friends all you should have to do is tell them what is happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">