• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interpretation of Child Visitation Court Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melbel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

My question is regarding current visitation court order. The order specifically states " DURING THE SUMMER THE PARTIES ARE TO HAVE VISITATION ON A TWO WEEK ROTATION COMMENCING WITH THE RESPONDENT IN EVEN YEARS AND THE PETITIONER IN ODD YEARS."

I am the Respondent in this case and since it's 2014 I commenced the two week rotation beginning with June 27,2014 since my son's last day of school was June 26, 2014. Now he begins school Monday August 25th, he is set to return to me this Friday August 22nd because of the two week rotation. My question is, when does he go back to the petitioner?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

My question is regarding current visitation court order. The order specifically states " DURING THE SUMMER THE PARTIES ARE TO HAVE VISITATION ON A TWO WEEK ROTATION COMMENCING WITH THE RESPONDENT IN EVEN YEARS AND THE PETITIONER IN ODD YEARS."

I am the Respondent in this case and since it's 2014 I commenced the two week rotation beginning with June 27,2014 since my son's last day of school was June 26, 2014. Now he begins school Monday August 25th, he is set to return to me this Friday August 22nd because of the two week rotation. My question is, when does he go back to the petitioner?
I would argue that you have this weekend and the normal visitation schedules begins Monday. Your last two-week "rotation" will be cut short.

Others would argue that, since you can't complete a two-week rotation, then it doesn't even start. That means that you wouldn't have kiddo this weekend at all (unless it would otherwise be your normal visitation time.

So, what is the problem?

Zigner

Now that I've had a chance to look at a calendar...

You and the other parent have each had two two-week visitations. At this point you're arguing about three days. Grow up.

I'mTheFather

I don't think the 2 week rotation is cut short. If I'm looking at the calendar correctly, her rotation ends on Friday.

ETA: You're quick!

ETAA: I would say it's dad's weekend immediately following this 2 week rotation, unless it's spelled out differently in the court order.

Last edited:

Melbel

I don't think the 2 week rotation is cut short. If I'm looking at the calendar correctly, her rotation ends on Friday.

ETA: You're quick!

ETAA: I would say it's dad's weekend immediately following this 2 week rotation, unless it's spelled out differently in the court order.

The argument is She says it is her weekend and the rotation ends this Friday therefore, our original court order begins. My argument is the court order does not specify until the end of summer vacation, it simply states on a two week rotation and my two week rotation begins Friday therefore, he is with me this weekend until Monday.

Zigner

Right - that's what I was trying to say :) If this weekend would be the OP's "normal" visitation, then it's the OP's weekend.

Zigner

The argument is She says it is her weekend and the rotation ends this Friday therefore, our original court order begins. My argument is the court order does not specify until the end of summer vacation, it simply states on a two week rotation and my two week rotation begins Friday therefore, he is with me this weekend until Monday.
You've each had four weeks during the summer. It should revert to the normal schedule.

Melbel

You've each had four weeks during the summer. It should revert to the normal schedule.
Ok, so I'm pretty much out of luck and will be able to see my son until next weekend?

Or am i entitled to at least this Friday?

Last edited:

Zigner

Ok, so I'm pretty much out of luck and will be able to see my son until next weekend?

Or am i entitled to at least this Friday?
If she doesn't want to turn him over, then yes, you will be going back to your "normal" visitation schedule. Why? Because there's no way you'd get this to court in time to do a darn thing about it. Maybe it's time to start negotiating with mom?

Melbel

If she doesn't want to turn him over, then yes, you will be going back to your "normal" visitation schedule. Why? Because there's no way you'd get this to court in time to do a darn thing about it. Maybe it's time to start negotiating with mom?
Would love to negotiate, but she is very stubborn and feels we should not share equal amounts of time. We are scheduled for a modification of the current order so I can add another day to my weekends. At this point, she says it's her weekend and I will not see my son until next weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">