• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bear1818

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I received summons for child support from NY, I live in NC. Can I open a child support case here? I’m currently paying support via checks to my ex, but I want it to be established by the court. So I just want to know if o need to appear in the NY court or open one here due to convenience for hearings.

LdiJ

I received summons for child support from NY, I live in NC. Can I open a child support case here? I’m currently paying support via checks to my ex, but I want it to be established by the court. So I just want to know if o need to appear in the NY court or open one here due to convenience for hearings.
No, you cannot open one in NC without risking child support being duplicated. Cooperate with the NY case and provide whatever information you are asked to provide. Ask if you can appear for any hearing telephonically, or in the alternative, if what they propose meets the guidelines the just accept it. The judge is going to order that you pay guideline support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And, uumm, if you've been paying w/o an order? Nice gift you've been giving. It may not count.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

NY has jurisdiction, per your posting history.

What you CAN do is see if the magistrate at that particular court would allow you to appear telephonically.

If you try to open a cs case in NC, knowing that you have already received a summons from NY on the subject, expect 1) a (successful) motion to dismiss your petition on the basis of jurisdiction, and 2) your misguided actions used against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">