• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kdawes56

What is the name of your state? Florida
My ex wife and I divoriced in 2017. During the divorice a split 50/50 parenting plan was ordered. December 31st 2018 my ex wife was evicted from her residence and became homeless. The chidren moved in with me full time and she visited them for a few hours ever other week. In march of 2019 she moved to Georgia and the kids remained with me until school was done. They are now visiting her for summer break and will return for school in August. She has recently attempted to change the current parenting plan and is requesting to have the children spend the second half of each school in Georgia. I dont agree with this and dont believe it would be good for the kids. Will a judge consider this proposal? Should I file for sole custody with her getting visitation during school breaks. The kids have lived in this city and gone to school here their entire lives and have family here including hers. They have nothing connecting them to Georgia but their mother.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida
My ex wife and I divoriced in 2017. During the divorice a split 50/50 parenting plan was ordered. December 31st 2018 my ex wife was evicted from her residence and became homeless. The chidren moved in with me full time and she visited them for a few hours ever other week. In march of 2019 she moved to Georgia and the kids remained with me until school was done. They are now visiting her for summer break and will return for school in August. She has recently attempted to change the current parenting plan and is requesting to have the children spend the second half of each school in Georgia. I dont agree with this and dont believe it would be good for the kids. Will a judge consider this proposal? Should I file for sole custody with her getting visitation during school breaks. The kids have lived in this city and gone to school here their entire lives and have family here including hers. They have nothing connecting them to Georgia but their mother.
Well, of course mom's idea of the children spending half of the school year in Georgia is a terrible one, and its unlikely that a judge would ever agree to it. However, a judge won't give you sole custody either, that idea is just as bad.

Joint legal custody (joint decision making) with you having primary placement is the likely outcome. Depending on the distance between homes mom would get at least every other Thanksgiving, a week at Christmas, every or every other Spring break, and the bulk of the summer. She also might get one weekend a month if that is feasible with the distance.

Kdawes56

Well, of course mom's idea of the children spending half of the school year in Georgia is a terrible one, and its unlikely that a judge would ever agree to it. However, a judge won't give you sole custody either, that idea is just as bad.

Joint legal custody (joint decision making) with you having primary placement is the likely outcome. Depending on the distance between homes mom would get at least every other Thanksgiving, a week at Christmas, every or every other Spring break, and the bulk of the summer. She also might get one weekend a month if that is feasible with the distance.
Its an 8 hour driving distance between homes. Joint custody was more of what i meant by sole custody with visitation during school breaks. At the moment our agreement states shared 50/50. Theres no way to do that living 8 hours apart with school aged kids other than spliting school years. Which im not ok with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">