• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intestate....public notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cooper@1960

Ohio.
In the past I recall seeing public notification ads in the newspaper announcing someone had died and if you had a claim to the estate you should step up. That approach seemed geographically limited, and these days newspapers aren't very popular.

If someone dies intestate are public notification announcements required still? If so where or in what form?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohio.
In the past I recall seeing public notification ads in the newspaper announcing someone had died and if you had a claim to the estate you should step up. That approach seemed geographically limited, and these days newspapers aren't very popular.

If someone dies intestate are public notification announcements required still? If so where or in what form?
Popular or not, they still exist.

zddoodah

Notwithstanding the existence of the form to which "adjusterjack" linked, I can find nothing that requires publication of notice of death in a newspaper.

The only reason to make such a notification would be in relation to creditor claims. However, the presentation of creditor claims is covered in section 2117.06(B) of the Ohio Revised Code: "Except as provided in section 2117.061 of the Revised Code, all claims shall be presented within six months after the death of the decedent, whether or not the estate is released from administration or an executor or administrator is appointed during that six-month period. Every claim presented shall set forth the claimant's address." Section 2117.061 relates to medicaid claims.

I couldn't begin to tell you if this is at all a new law, but the current version has been effect for at least 20 years. It used to be common for people to publish notice that "I am not responsible for any debts other than my own," but doing so is and pretty much always has been pointless (or a vestige of a time long past).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">