• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Into mechanic for $1800 and truck not fixed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGL217

Brought truck in for loss of power. First estimate was wrong spark plugs and something else minor, $200. Then I get a call claiming loss of compression, needs heads. I've dealt with this mechanic last two years he knows my truck and knows I need it for my landscaping business. Now estimate is $1200. I have it done because I need the truck. I rent a truck for two weeks as it takes that long to repair. That cost is $1350. The initial estimate of repair goes up to $1700. I pick up truck, check engine lights on. It wasn't on when I brought truck into shop. Another $100 for that part. I pay it. I still owe $400 and another two weeks in shop they can't repair to get check engine light off.
Now I have a truck I can't legally drive and still owe this sob $400. Court or just suck up all this expense and hope Karma gets this sob?

quincy

Thank you for providing your state name.

How old is your truck?

The mechanic gave you estimates for repairs each time and you gave the mechanic an okay do all of the work each time, correct?

SGL217

Thank you for providing your state name.

How old is your truck?

The mechanic gave you estimates for repairs each time and you gave the mechanic an okay do all of the work each time, correct?
Yes it's a 2000 Ford Ranger with 225k mi. Yes I approved the work but the estimates kept increasing and the check engine light came on when I left with the truck after being in the shop for over two weeks and paid an additional $100 for a part that would apparently solve that issue but after another two weeks in the shop they couldn't solve the problem so now I have a truck I can't get inspected nor drive and still owe $400 on original repair balance. My truck hasn't been repaired apparently.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Things go wrong on 18 year old vehicles with high mileage. I'm not sure you can blame your mechanic.

If you're not happy about his being unable to find the cause of the latest problem maybe you should have another mechanic look at the truck.

I really don't see any justification for suing your mechanic at this point.

quincy

The check engine light comes on and goes off on our old Jeep with some frequency and it is a gas cap issue. Have you checked that as a source of the problem?

I agree with HighwayMan that a lawsuit does not seem warranted under the circumstances you describe.

PayrollHRGuy

Check engine lights come on (either flash or go solid on) when a error code is sent from the cars computer. It can be something as simple a a gas cap issue or it could be something REALLY bad. The point being the error code is stored. There are MANY codes that can be the result of any one or more of many different parts failing. Unfortunately automobile technicians generally aren't well trained in actually diagnosing problems any more. The read the error code and start throwing new parts in until the error stops.

If you do take it to a new mechanic he will likely do the same thing this mech has done. But since this one has already changed out several parts it will look like the new mech got it on the first try.

SGL217

The issue is the engine light never came on before I brought the truck to him. I paid another $100 for a part supposed to alleviate the engine light issue. He kept the truck four separate days then another 2 weeks and still can't fix the issue even though I paid for it. Another mechanic said the truck was throwing several codes and all this after paying $1300 to have heads repaired. (1700 total + $100 for engine light issue)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had an ~12 year old Suburban that needed it's SMOG check (a requirement her in CA). I went in expect it to pass with flying colors (no lights on the dash...was running great, etc.) As soon as they started the car, the check-engine light came on, which caused them to not be able to test it. Turns out that an O2 sensor decided to die at that very moment. The point of my story is that things aren't broken until they are.
At some point you need to decide if you want to throw good money after bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">