• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kl2233

Tennessee

In December of '04 I moved out of an apartment without paying the last month and a halfs rent.

I was furloughed from work and I had spoken with the property manager and made arrangements to pay the rent, after she sent me an eviction notice that she typed up, not a legal court document. She also threatened to garnish my paycheck in another letter.

She basically harassed me and my wife for a while so then I didn't answer her calls for a few days. I guess she took exception to this and called my wife's cousin, who was listed as an emergency contact. The property manager told her that we were liars, and worthless, and wanted to know why I wouldn't answer my phone and where I was at.

I was out of town for about a week during this and not answering her calls, that is why she couldn't find me.

So, basically I had the money to pay her what I owed in full about two weeks after our arranged date to pay, but since she harassed us, I didn't want to stay in this apartment anymore. So, I used the money to rent another place.

Now she is suing me for about twice as much as we owed her. I would like to pay her so that the harassment would just stop, but I canot afford to pay it.

Is it defamation for her to call my wifes cousin and tell her that we're late with our bills and that we are deadbeats and liars. BTW this has spread through my wife's entire family, and now I am practically an outcast after being married for less than one year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">