• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of Privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am renting a house from a landlord who seems to think that becuase its "his house" he can come and go as he pleases. I have a gate to my house and if I leave it open he will enter the property without calling me first. There have been times that he has entered the house without my permission as well. (The reason I know is becuase I had the locks changed to catch him and I got a phone call stating that I couldn't change the locks on them).

I am seriously starting to get creeped out by this. I am VERY unfomfortable with him being at the house without my knowledge. I have requested a couple of times that they ask before coming, but I keep getting told that they don't have to give me notice to visit the house. There is nothing in my lease that says he has to give notice, nor does it say that he can come and go as he pleases.

I just want to move out. Its not worth the hassle that this would cause. Do I have a case for breaking my lease? I am moving out no matter what, I jsut want to know if I have a case for invasion of privacy to get out of the rest of my lease.


Senior Member

Looks like theres no statute . Then ther's this:

12. LANDLORD'S ENTRY: Upon reasonable prior notice, the Lessor may enter
at all reasonable hours of the day and only in a commercially reasonable manner,
to inspect and/or make such repairs to the leased premises as the Lessor may
reasonably desire, without prosecution for such intrusion. The Lessor shall at
all times accord reasonable care to the Lessee's property.

Reasonable is usually 24 hr. notice .

If you are home use safety devices to prevent entry . You can not change the locks without permission and keys to LL.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential