• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lionsmum

I live in an apt above the office overlooking the common area. Landlord has installed a camera on my balcony to monitor the pool area - but it also shows quite a bit of my balcony. Even when the pool area is closed and there's no reason to be monitoring, im continually contacted about the state of my balcony, etc. - things hes obviously looking for. Is this an invasion of privacy? I always feel like im being watched.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

If the balcony is an open-air balcony viewable by others from the landlord’s property, there should be no expectation of privacy so, therefore, there is no invasion of it.

If the camera captures the inside of your unit, on the other hand, you should tell your landlord to adjust its placement.

Lionsmum

Are you leaving stuff on your balcony that shouldn't be left there?
What is the name of your state? Washington

If the balcony is an open-air balcony viewable by others from the landlord’s property, there should be no expectation of privacy so, therefore, there is no invasion of it.

If the camera captures the inside of your unit, on the other hand, you should tell your landlord to adjust its placement.
The balcony can't be seen by any means than inside the apt and the camera - we're too high up and the only upper level balcony. Camera points down to pool. I have asked him previously to change angle but he says he can't get full view of pool otherwise. Completely understandable, but area's been locked up since Aug! He'll point out if the dog poops, snow on balcony, etc. Nothing bad, its just unsettling. I just don't know where tenant privacy begins and ends. Thx

Just Blue

The balcony can't be seen by any means than inside the apt and the camera - we're too high up and the only upper level balcony. Camera points down to pool. I have asked him previously to change angle but he says he can't get full view of pool otherwise. Completely understandable, but area's been locked up since Aug! He'll point out if the dog poops, snow on balcony, etc. Nothing bad, its just unsettling. I just don't know where tenant privacy begins and ends. Thx
What state? Privacy laws vary state to state.

quincy

The state is Washington.

Thank you for providing your state name, Lionsmum.

There is generally no guarantee of privacy when you are outside your residence and could reasonably expect to be seen by others. I don’t think it unreasonable to expect at least a modicum of privacy on the balcony you describe, however.

Here is a link to Washington’s invasion of privacy law:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=42.56.050

Here is a link to Washington’s “voyeurism” law:
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.44.115

Is there any way you can screen off those areas of your balcony that can be seen by the camera?

Last edited:

Just Blue

The state is Washington.

There is generally no guarantee of privacy when you are outside your residence and could reasonably expect to be seen by others.

Is there any way you can screen off those areas of your balcony that can be seen by the camera?
I didn't see where she posted his/her state...:confused:

Lionsmum

The state is Washington.

There is generally no guarantee of privacy when you are outside your residence and could reasonably expect to be seen by others.

That's a great idea - i actually can move my large patio table to that side and possibly block the view!
I thought taking the apt above the office bldg would provide more privacy- guess I was wrong. Thank you for your help!

quincy

That's a great idea - i actually can move my large patio table to that side and possibly block the view!
I thought taking the apt above the office bldg would provide more privacy- guess I was wrong. Thank you for your help!
I added a link to Washington’s invasion of privacy law to my previous post, by the way, but if you think there is a way to block the camera’s view (without totally blocking your own view) that can be preferable to trying to find a legal solution.

Good luck. And thanks for the thanks.

quincy

I am and was aware that the OP "asked [the landlord] previously to change angle," but that doesn't answer either of the questions I asked.
It appears that Lionsmum has decided to simply block the view of the camera with a patio table which, if it works, is an easy solution.

But I have to say that you sure do know how to write a proper question, Doodah! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">