• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion Privacy, Abuse, bullying, Defamation, Libel / Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gorivergo

Moved in with a friend, who in order to control me, she would threaten blasting me on FB. She took pictures of my room, when it was mess with all my boxes and my 16 year sleeping, posted on FB calling me a Hoarder. She continued on FB calling me a Drug Addict, Meth addict and Junkie, and my daughter a whore. This devastated us and my daughter ran away. Do I have any recourse what so ever?

Just Blue

Moved in with a friend, who in order to control me, she would threaten blasting me on FB. She took pictures of my room, when it was mess with all my boxes and my 16 year sleeping, posted on FB calling me a Hoarder. She continued on FB calling me a Drug Addict, Meth addict and Junkie, and my daughter a whore. This devastated us and my daughter ran away. Do I have any recourse what so ever?
1. What state?
2. Where did your daughter run to?
3. Why does your "friend" want to control you?
4. Why don't you move out?

quincy

Whether you have a legitimate claim worth the potentially very high costs of pursuing will depend on your state, what exactly was said of you and its context, how people reacted to you after reading what was said about you, and the harm you can demonstrate you suffered as a result of what was written.

quincy

Close your Farcebook account.
Her Facebook is not the problem and she cannot close someone else’s account - although she can and should report to Facebook the objectionable content appearing on her “friend’s” account.

Not seeing what is published about you online or elsewhere does not eliminate the harm caused you by what is published.

Dandy Don

In order to control you how, exactly? This is not someone you should consider any longer as being a "friend".

Has she ever given you any indications that she wants you two to move out?

Do you pay rent and is your name listed as a co-renter on the lease?

Does the landlord know you live there?

If you can afford to live elsewhere, you should have seriously moved out as soon as you could make arrangements to.

Eekamouse

Why did she call you those names?

Her Facebook is not the problem and she cannot close someone else’s account - although she can and should report to Facebook the objectionable content appearing on her “friend’s” account.

Not seeing what is published about you online or elsewhere does not eliminate the harm caused you by what is published.
I know, but look how many peoples lives have been ruined by Farcebook and Twatter.
I prefer reality rather than the anonymous voyeurism that is social media.
Supposedly between 5 and 10% of Americans are literally addicted to social media. We may even soon see it classed as a disability so we get to support people so they can sit on their backsides all day while they tap at a computer screen.

Sorry, rant over.

quincy

I know, but look how many peoples lives have been ruined by Farcebook and Twatter.
I prefer reality rather than the anonymous voyeurism that is social media.
Supposedly between 5 and 10% of Americans are literally addicted to social media. We may even soon see it classed as a disability so we get to support people so they can sit on their backsides all day while they tap at a computer screen.

Sorry, rant over.
Rarely is a person’s life ruined by what is posted about them online. But it happens.

The most publicized examples are perhaps the suicides, often committed by young people who feel death is preferable to life after lies are published about them online or they are bullied by their peers online.

Defamatory statements are destructive. Those who have been injured by false statements can find their personal and professional reputations never really recover.

I agree there is a growing problem with social media addiction. It would be sort of nice if the internet had a “closing time” or set hours each day, so those with no self-control are forced to talk to the people around them or read a book or find something productive to do occasionally.

I agree there is a growing problem with social media addiction. It would be sort of nice if the internet had a “closing time” or set hours each day, so those with no self-control are forced to talk to the people around them or read a book or find something productive to do occasionally.
I'm sure if that happened an attorney or two would spring up to say that the social media companies are infringing on the right of people to be addicted ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">