• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INVESTMENT FRAUD/STATUTES OF LIMITATIONS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kalil

My husband and I were convinced to invest $35K into a lease for a $10Million fund. Because the recruiter was a co-worker and friend of my husband, we trusted her and was assured by her that our money was safe and to be placed into a trust and that we could decide at any time to leave the investment and withdraw our initial investment w/o penalty.

We signed what seemed to be an agreement that our money was to be included with other investors and that the moneys would be invested within one (1) year. After that date, we could then get our initial investment back with any profits. However, the papers we signed was never specific on when that year would begin and commmence. Furthermore, no documents were given us to date.

After one year, we contacted the recruiter and other parties involved that we wanted out and wanted our initial investment, even without any profits. They informed us that the money had not been invested yet for many reasons. From this point on, for a period of four (4) years, they would continually tell us that we would recieve our money "next week". Unfortunately, each week passed for FOUR years and to this date, no money, just a multitude of excuses.

My husband and I are simple and do not understand much of the law, but definitely had felt something was wrong after the original signing and the first year.

We just want our initial investment of $35K which to this day, they promise will recieve. CAN WE SUE THEM FOR OUR INVESTMENT AND ANY MONEYS SUCH AS INTEREST? IS THERE A STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR THIS EVEN THOUGH THEY CONTINUALLY PROMISE US THAT THEY ARE IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING THE MONEY, MONEY THAT WAS NOT EVEN INVESTED PER THEIR CORRESPONDENCE WITH US?

Please advice. Thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Kalil
[email protected]

L

lars coltrane

Yes you can sue and you can sue for interest, as well as other theories such as fraud. But, there are statute considerations and each state has its own rules.

Find a lawyer and get started. As much time has passed and you have not gotten your money, do not delay. Get to a lawyer and get started.

K

kalil

If it helps, the agreement was signed in California. What are the parameters of limitations for us?

L

lars coltrane

Statutes are as follows: 4 years for breach of a written contract; 2 years for breach of an oral contract and 3 years for fraud.

In your case, it is not clear when the breach occurred, but since it has been 4 years, act right away. Find a lawyer and file suit. Since you have been told repeatedly that you will be paid, you should be ok, but don't wait.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">