• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invitro Fertilization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DMHDIM

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am looking into IVF and have health coverage under a PPO Blue Cross Blue Shield Plan. It states in the plan benefit booklet that IVF is an excluded procedure but the doctor claims that there is a new law in MD that states this is a procedure that must be covered. Does anyone know whether this is true?:confused:

C

CIAA

I don't really know... I heard Mass. has a similar law. It may be that it will depend on whether or not it is employer group or individual coverage. In any event your Department of insurance should be able to answer your question...call them. If it is covered, there are probably some protocols you will have to follow first (ie.tests, other treatment options, etc.). Good luck !

D

DMHDIM

Invitro

Maryland: Coverage is through a small-employer group plan. I did find some info on the internet that stated it is a procedure that is state mandated to be covered but then there are all these exclusions (like the coverage the government provided to its employees is not required to include coverage). It is all very confusing to me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All that means is that if you are a Federal or state employee, coverage is not mandated. It is mandated for private employer group coverages, though.

The reason your plan document shows it as an excluded procedure is probably that the plan documents are "boiler-plate" prints, and your carrier only covers it in states where it is required by law. If your carrier is either the company I worked for or handles its plan documents the same way my former employer does, there is a state specific document available that shows what is covered in Maryland that would not normally be covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">