• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involentary wage reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lomzaman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California is my state.
Is it legal in California to impose a wage reduction on employees in order to save the company operating expenses?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California is my state.
Is it legal in California to impose a wage reduction on employees in order to save the company operating expenses?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What would make you think it isn't? Unless you are under a bona fide contract that states otherwise or are part of a collective bargaining agreement, then it is perfectly legal.

dolebot

It's also legal to fire you for any reason at any time, or no reason at all. It's legal to reduce your pay because "I don't like you", it's legal to change your schedule with no notice, it's legal to reduce your pay to minimum wage because I don't like your political views. It's legal to make you park far away because your car is a piece of crap, and its legal to make you move your office into the basement, AND take your stapler.

You have recourse - quit. Be thankful you still have a job - we're down about a million in this country right now.

It's illegal to do any of those things above if the real reason is "you're hispanic", or "you're a woman" or "you are old", or any protected characteristic. The deck is stacked in the companies favor, the burden is on YOU to prove discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">