• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Liens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jcann

What is the name of your state? Florida. What is an involuntary lien as opposed to voluntary? I applied for a HELOC from Figure Lending. I already have a HELOC from them as I am doing some renovations on my house to get it ready to sell. I requested an increase and was told I should apply for another loan. I did so and was denied due to having at least three involuntary liens per Experien. I researched what an involuntary lien is and it appears to be when you have a loan that is not paid or if you owe the IRS. I pay all my loans on time, never miss a payment, and don't owe the IRS. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2013 and in August 2015 received a discharge, and got a modification on my home. I have a car note and a Lowes credit card with about $3000 balance, plus the HELOC and the mortgage. I checked my credit through Experien and don't see what would be an involuntary lien. Checked my property appraiser website and nothing there. Am I misunderstanding what an involuntary lien is? Figure couldn't tell me anything. Thank you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida. What is an involuntary lien as opposed to voluntary? I applied for a HELOC from Figure Lending. I already have a HELOC from them as I am doing some renovations on my house to get it ready to sell. I requested an increase and was told I should apply for another loan. I did so and was denied due to having at least three involuntary liens per Experien. I researched what an involuntary lien is and it appears to be when you have a loan that is not paid or if you owe the IRS. I pay all my loans on time, never miss a payment, and don't owe the IRS. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2013 and in August 2015 received a discharge, and got a modification on my home. I have a car note and a Lowes credit card with about $3000 balance, plus the HELOC and the mortgage. I checked my credit through Experien and don't see what would be an involuntary lien. Checked my property appraiser website and nothing there. Am I misunderstanding what an involuntary lien is? Figure couldn't tell me anything. Thank you.
Have you asked the lender to tell you what they are seeing specifically?

Jcann

Yes, the person I spoke to couldn't help me with specifics, he asked his supervisor and I was told to call Experien. I can't reach a person at Experien.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? Florida. What is an involuntary lien as opposed to voluntary?
An involuntary lien is any lien that the debtor himself/herself did not grant to the creditor. Examples of involuntary liens are judgment liens (liens that result when you lose a court case and the court enters a money judgment against you), tax liens (including property taxes, income taxes, and other taxes), HOA assessment liens, mechanics liens (which are liens against a home when the homeowner failed to pay contractors who did work on the home) etc. Voluntary liens are liens that the debtor grants to the creditor. The two most common nonbusiness liens are a home mortgage and automobile liens. You grant those liens to the creditor as part of the loan process.

zddoodah

What is an involuntary lien as opposed to voluntary?
A lien is a claim against the title of a piece of property. Voluntary and involuntary are fairly commonly understood English language words. A mortgage would a good example of a voluntary lien. A tax lien would be a good example of an involuntary lien.

I researched what an involuntary lien is and it appears to be when you have a loan that is not paid or if you owe the IRS.
An IRS lien would be an example of an involuntary lien. If you have a lien resulting from a loan, it would be a voluntary lien (regardless of its payoff status).

I checked my credit through Experien and don't see what would be an involuntary lien. Checked my property appraiser website and nothing there. Am I misunderstanding what an involuntary lien is?
Seems that way. The lender with whom you applied for the loan should provide you with information and/or documentation regarding the liens in question. You can also order a title report yourself.

I was told to call Experien.
Experian is a credit reporting agency. It reports debt that has been reported to it, regardless of whether that debt is secured by a lien or unsecured. You need a title report

Jcann

Thanks for the explanations. I don't have any judgments or anything like. Almost appears to be a mistake. I'll see about getting a title report. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">