• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involved in accident, advice needed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? California

This morning I was involved in an accident right near my house. I was pulling through an intersection at a stop light, and a driver ran the light smashing into my car. My car is totaled I would say, the entire front left of the car is caved in all in to the engine. He has no insurance, no license, it isn't his car, and most likely he is an illegal also. I've never been in an accident before, and I am worried that he gave the cop the wrong information since there is no way to confirm it. I was wondering what should happen now, I assume if it is totaled that my insurance company will give me blue book value or something on my car, but do I have any grounds to sue the guy if I don't receive the total amount from my insurance company? Please advise, thank you.


Senior Member
You can do one of two things. Turn in a claim to your insurance, negotiate the best settlement possible then move on. You will have to sign a release that will prevent you from suing the at fault party, the insurance company will want to seek compensation for the claim paid to you. Or you can sue the guy yourself and hope to get something from him. Being uninsured and illegal, the odds of collecting is slim and none. You can also sue the owner of the vehicle too. In either case, you are only entitled to fair market value for your vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential