• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iowa Grandparent wants legal guardian ship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brulezmylife

I'm in need of some kinda knows the laws here is my problem I had a mental breakdown last August for two weeks I was in hospitalized treatment for it. Day of my breakdown my husband and minor daughter was with me. This all happened at my therapy place at that time we were homeless so my husband could not take my daughter anyway I tough I was doing the right thing by calling my mother that day. My daughter was not in the best conditions when she picked her up we had animals and her in my truck but after I was out of the hospital I signed temporary legal Guardianship to my mom over my daughter. I'm very aware how to end that and have the form drawn up all ready. I been living at my mom's since September 2018 with my daughter intill now. Just the other day my mom put papers in front of me saying she wants full legal Guardianship of my daughter intill she is 18 years old because of unfounded DHS reports and me going to the hospital let's recap I was seeking help before my breakdown but it was the wrong kind of diagnosis. Any way my daughters bio dad supposly signed these papers but I'm really not interested in signing them I do have workers and doctors that can vouch for me and what happened but my mom is treating me with court if I don't sign. I truly tough In Iowa grandparents have no rights. Plus through all this my daughter misses her called step dad even though he actually did not adopted her yet. Bio dad has been a dead beat. I called a lawyer and heard nothing back I'm just wondering what my rights are and what I should do at this point the grandma wants me to sign before Thursday.

justalayman

Grandparents may not have rights to sue for custody and visitation in a situation where there aren’t other issues but..

There are other issues in your situation. Whether your mother can obtain guardianship will depend a lot on your mental health condition and whether you can provide for your child.

I don’t believe you should relinquish them on a permanent basis IF you actually believe you can get your act together and provide for the child and you are mentally stable enough to take on the obligation. A temporary guardianship is fine for now if you believe you’ll reach the point of being able to care for your child.

I would look around your area for legal aid clinics or if you have a law school in the area, they often provide legal assistance for certain types of cases. You’ll need help if your mother seeks permanent guardianship through the courts.

Eekamouse

I'm in need of some kinda knows the laws here is my problem I had a mental breakdown last August for two weeks I was in hospitalized treatment for it. Day of my breakdown my husband and minor daughter was with me. This all happened at my therapy place at that time we were homeless so my husband could not take my daughter anyway I tough I was doing the right thing by calling my mother that day. My daughter was not in the best conditions when she picked her up we had animals and her in my truck but after I was out of the hospital I signed temporary legal Guardianship to my mom over my daughter. I'm very aware how to end that and have the form drawn up all ready. I been living at my mom's since September 2018 with my daughter intill now. Just the other day my mom put papers in front of me saying she wants full legal Guardianship of my daughter intill she is 18 years old because of unfounded DHS reports and me going to the hospital let's recap I was seeking help before my breakdown but it was the wrong kind of diagnosis. Any way my daughters bio dad supposly signed these papers but I'm really not interested in signing them I do have workers and doctors that can vouch for me and what happened but my mom is treating me with court if I don't sign. I truly tough In Iowa grandparents have no rights. Plus through all this my daughter misses her called step dad even though he actually did not adopted her yet. Bio dad has been a dead beat. I called a lawyer and heard nothing back I'm just wondering what my rights are and what I should do at this point the grandma wants me to sign before Thursday.
Why is she seeking this? What are you doing that has made her feel this would be a good solution?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">