• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iowa Vehicle repossession questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

browneyedgurl

What is the name of your state? IOWA

My husband and I filed BK a few months ago. We were told to list all our debts, including the ones we wanted to reassume, which were our house and our vehicle. During this time, our lawyer wrote a letter to our vehicle loan people, suggesting a payback price for our vehicle. He sent us a copy of this letter, along with telling us that he would let us know as soon as he heard back from them.

Our bk was discharged at the end of last month. All of a sudden, tonight there's a knock on my door of two men coming to take our vehicle. My husband said that the car loan company, nor our lawyer had been in touch with us (the car loan company sends us statements every month, like a credit card company does, we don't have a payment book, and we have not received any type of statement/correspondence from them since the discharge). Anyway, my husband stated that the vehicle was not going anywhere until we spoke with our lawyer in the morning. The man proceeded to say that fine, he would let the company know, so they could file charges against us, etc. etc.

Do I have any rights in this situation at all? Has anyone else been in this predicament before? We have received NOTHING from our loan company, in fact, we were figuring they would be sending us our monthly statement any time now. If we had known that they were going to repo it anyway, we would have filed on it also, but we didn't because first off we just plain need it, and secondly, we wanted to pay off the debt to them.

Help! I am so sick over this. My husband is going to visit our lawyer tomorrow, but I just don't think I can sleep tonight. My head is spinning, I just don't know what to do.

JETX

There are many, many 'twists and turns' in the process of attempting to reaffirm a debt in a bankruptcy for anyone to be able to accurately determine what rights you might or might not have. I would suggest you wait until you can talk with your attorney, who should already be familiar with the specifics of your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">