• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS problem impact naturalization process?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhartmann

What is the name of your state? MO:confused: woman's husband died and left her with back taxes from his business. She has green card & wants to become U.S. citizen. She is negotiating with IRS to reduce payment to a minimum.

Will this open IRS case have any impact on her ability to attain citizenship?

ImmigAttyLana

It should not, assuming the business is not also in her name and she is responsible for the taxes. And assuming she is eligible to file for citizenship.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

bhartmann

IRS problem

thanks for your interest...the simplicity of this is she married him and he died...thru her relationship as wife, she inherited the back taxes even though she was not a partner in the business or had any legal ties to his company. It just doesn't seem fair that she has to pick up the tab and fight the fight. With this being said...and no other concerns to get her citizenship, will she have a problem getting the citizenship done with the IRS looming over her background?..I appreciate your thoughts!

ImmigAttyLana

I don't think this should be an issue as far as her citizenship is concerned. She needs to file her own taxes, of course, and be up to date on those filings but the fact that there are additional tax liabilities as a result of the husband's business should be a separate matter.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

bhartmann

IRS problem-Lawyer input

MO
Thanks Lana....I have contacted a prominant lawyer, west coast R. Reeves to consult her case-he believes best that she get citizenship then persue visa to get daughter back-his contract fee is $3K+cost to walk her thru citizenship and get visa for daughter in phiilipines in12-18mnths to accomplish. $1k upfront +$170/mnth-I'm concerned about the extended "Cost" charges for paperwork,copies etc. What do you think this cost range will add up to? Ballpark? My experiece for lawyer is retainer to do job at a hrly rate. Retainer is estimate to do complete job which includes "cost". This is quite different and seems to be very open for upscale charges down the road. Your thoughts are appreciated...

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

Immigration matters are usually handled on a flat fee basis. The costs he is referring to probably refer to the USCIS filing fees and consular fees. As for his actual fee, it is rather on the high side. My fees for the same type of service are about 1/2 of that and I explain what the various costs are upfront. I also set up a payment plan for my clients and given an additional discount to FreeForum members. I would be happy to discuss the process and the timelines.

Furthermore, unless her daughter is under the age of 21, it will take a lot more than 12-18 months to get her to the US even after the mother is a US citizen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

bhartmann

IRS problem-Lawyer input

MO.
Lana...thanks again..yes, he said that the other "Cost" are attributal to direct USCIS fees for mothers citizenship but also cost for phone calls, copying, paperwork etc. I know the direct USCIS fees are fixed but other cost are unknown. The daughter is 8 yrs old. What do I need to do to get a quote from you? Do you want to see his contract copy? I can fax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">