• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goodfella

What is the name of your state? Hawaii and Tennessee

Okay...long story:

When I lived in Hawaii, I filed for Chapter 13 in 2000 mostly for taxes owed from 97-99-99. Most of the payments from my Plan went to pay for IRS debts. I finished the Plan and was discharged in 2003. I should point out that I filed alone and did NOT include my wife bacuase we didn't have any shared debt..Well, except for the IRS, which had been filed as "Married, Filing joint".

My bankruptcy attorney warned me that once discharged, the IRS could come after my wife for accumulated interest and penalties while I was making payments on the plan. They did...In May of 2005 she received notices for interest and penalties for 97-98-99 totalling more that $7,000. Rather than argue the point, and because we had the money, we paid the full amount in good faith with the hope of putting it all behind us.

We have since moved to Tennessee and last weekend wife receives notices of penalties still owed for 97 and 98. These notices were forwarded from the Hawaii address - then she gets a Certified letter notifing her that the IRS intends to begin levying assets to pay for taxes owed in 1999. Because this letter was also forwarded from Hawaii, we received it almost 3 weeks after the notice date.

I called IRS immediatly and explained the situation and promised to send checks to cover all the amounts owed right wawy (which I have done). The IRS rep claims that no levies or liens have been placed and he will hold off further action until they receive the checks.

My question is why would the IRS send such a threatening notice without sending any previous notice? There has been no previous notice that any other taxes or penalties were due. Is there a way an individual can check to see if he/she has a balance owing rather than wait for these intimidating notices?

I just want to get some input on dealing with these people - it's sorta like the mafia - "Pay now - don't ask questions later".

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">