• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a verbal contract for a pay raise enforcable (with witnesses) in Arizona?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ade2461

When hired from a temp agency to a company I was told I would be making X-amount of money and once the company traded hands in 3 months I would be making X-amount more. It's been close to a year and I've been inquiring not only about the original increase, but the second increase. This agreement was made by Human Resources in front of other management. Is this verbal contract enforcable and if so, back to the original date of promissory rates?

Whoops2u

Even if you were able to prove such a statement, I don't think it rises to the level of a contract. Promises are not contracts and this does not even seem a promise. Others here have more experience in employment matters, but I doubt they're going to be too enthusiastic about legal remedies.

HRZ

I would think that a oral contract as to a specific wage starting at a determinable time or event is enforceable ....but the burden is on you to prove the elements .

A mere generic promise of a future raise is mere hot air.

I sense a problem in that by waiting so long you have invited debate that you have acquiesced to the existing wage .

Whoops2u

I would think that a oral contract as to a specific wage starting at a determinable time or event is enforceable ....but the burden is on you to prove the elements .
Including the element of consideration, right?

Whoops2u

An inducement to stay aboard during a change of management
Wrong claim, but I understand what you mean. The OP was going to leave and decided to stay because of the promise. THAT would be consideration on the OP's part, not the motive of the one making the promise.

PayrollHRGuy

Let's keep in mind there is a temp agency and two different employers in the mix.

Which entity made the original promise of the wage increase?

Whoops2u

Let's keep in mind there is a temp agency and two different employers in the mix.

Which entity made the original promise of the wage increase?
Three employers.
When hired from a temp agency to a company I was told I would be making X-amount of money and once the company traded hands in 3 months I would be making X-amount more.

I suspect it was the middle employer that made the promise.

PayrollHRGuy

Actually, unless he has since been hired by one of the other entities there is only one true employer and that is the temp agency. But I understand what you are saying as I assumed you might understand what I was saying.

Who made the promise and if they had the power to make such a promise is critical.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">