• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is an Emergency Bankruptcy Petition reported to the Credit reports?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FloridaSunshine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

Is an Emergency Bankruptcy Petition reported to the Credit reports? In other words, is it officially the same as filing a completed/full bankruptcy paperwork where it is reported to the credit reports OR is it just a preliminary step telling the courts you intend to fully apply for bankruptcy but need 14 days to do so (giving you a temporary stay but it is not reported or officially start the process of bankruptcy)? (Should I not complete a full bankruptcy filing within those 14 days then the Emergency Bankruptcy Petition will be dismissed and will remain unreported to the credit bureaus)

I know that a filing for bankruptcy, regardless if dismissed by the courts or if canceled by the applicant, will be reported and remains on your credit report for years or until removed via much effort. But, is an Emergency Bankruptcy Petition the same?

TY

Last edited:

I know that a filing for bankruptcy, regardless if dismissed by the courts or if canceled by the applicant, will be reported and remains on your credit report for years or until removed via much effort. But, is an Emergency Bankruptcy Petition the same?
Ty,

There is no such thing as an "Emergency Bankruptcy Petition". What there is, is the filing of just the initially required documents such as 1) the signed Petition and 2) the credit counseling certificate. Once those are filed, as you know, certain time limits kick in and, if they are not met the bk is dismissed. A bk filed without all Statements and Schedules is reported as any other bk is reported regardless of how quickly you do or do not file the balance of those Statements and Schedules.

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">