• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is an MOU legally enforceable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dotted-edge

Hello,

I am curious if an Memorandum of Understanding is legally enforceablee like a contract.

Many thanks.

JETX

If what you are calling a "Memorandum of Understanding" is the same as an Agreed Judgment (agreement between two or more parties in resolution of a dispute), then yes it is just as valid as a judgment.

But then, since you can't follow instructions (see the RED at the top of the page.... WHERE ARE YOU???), I might be wrong.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

D

dotted-edge

Thank you, Halket, for your response. I am based in UK but I think the general legal principle probably applies anywhere in US, UK and Australia.

I have signed an MOU with another party to sell my shares in a company for $x and on certain terms. We also agreed to draw up a contract to 'more properly' execute our agreement (as in the MOU). The other party is changing mind about the agreed terms and price now. If I am in US, can I legally enforce the MOU and make him sign a contract based on what we already agreed in the MOU?

Many thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">