• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is carrier-cellphone unlocking obligatory now? And what about VOIP devices?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I stopped buying carrier locked phones years ago. I also don't buy $1000 phones.

If the OP is looking for phones to use in Europe he can but unlocked Motorolas - my experience is that they are good phones and relatively inexpensive, especially compared to current "flagship" devices.
TMobile provides customers with a temporary unlock code if they will be traveling out of the country.

pickaname

There's a charitable org for battered women that takes cellphone donations. I don't know if they have a way to unlock them, but in principle they have less leverage than a current or former customer of the carrier who locked the phone, so it makes sense to get them unlocked before donating.

quincy

There's a charitable org for battered women that takes cellphone donations. I don't know if they have a way to unlock them, but in principle they have less leverage than a current or former customer of the carrier who locked the phone, so it makes sense to get them unlocked before donating.
That is a good use for old cellphones and a good reason to have them unlocked.

There is also “Cell Phones for Soldiers” and “1Million Project,” among other charities, that accept cell phone donations.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

He's not talking about current model anythings. The reason he's having problems is not for failure to comply with the law but because his stuff is so ancient that the carriers don't know how to deal with them. He bought one from Cingular? Cingular hasn't been known as Cingular for over a decade (they changed back to ATT in 2006).

quincy

He's not talking about current model anythings. The reason he's having problems is not for failure to comply with the law but because his stuff is so ancient that the carriers don't know how to deal with them. He bought one from Cingular? Cingular hasn't been known as Cingular for over a decade (they changed back to ATT in 2006).
These old phones can still be unlocked. But the carriers may not be able to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">