• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is company provided equipment ever considered to be abandoned if the company fails to pick it up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blahsaysme2u

In Virginia:
Is company provided equipment ever considered to be abandoned if the company fails to pick it up?
I worked for my previous employer for 3 months using an iPad and other equipment. They also provided a work phone iPhone that I never even opened because by the time I got it I had given my 2 weeks. It's still new in the box. I quit 2 months ago. I offered to mail the equipment back to them numerous times but they finally said they would come get it. However, the day we were supposed to meet they canceled. It's now been 2 months and I haven't heard anything from my manager or assistant manager. Is this equipment ever "abandoned"? I don't remember signing anything saying that I would return but I am also an honest person and don't want to keep what's mine. In this instance where I can't seem to even give it away. What should I do? Is there ever an amount of time that this equipment would become mine in the eyes of the law or do I have to keep it indefinitely until they decide they want it back?

eerelations

Tell them (by email so's you can save what you said + their response, if any) that they have until X date (now until "X" being some reasonable amount of time, like a month or so) to get their property. And that if they haven't gotten their property by X date, you will at that point mail it to them. Then do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">