• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is cuddling or kissing considered sexual activity? In public, can it be seen as indecent exposure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
State: California (CA)

I think this one is quite ambiguous with kissing or cuddling considered a sexual activity or not. For example, is it legal to do in public? I know some people here are going to give their personal opinion about whether public display of affection is arrogant or not, but that's not the point of my question. I'm looking for answers on legality. Thank you in advance! :)

The reason I'm asking is because so many places are considered public, even someone's private car, because people can see through the windows. As far as I've read, if you have sex in the car and the car next to you or something sees it, they can report you for indecent exposure since it's viewable to the public. I think changing clothing with the window open in your house can also count as indecent exposure possibly.

Regarding cars, I'm pretty sure most of the time it's public because according to this website, cars can be considered public (Is Having Sex in Public a Crime? What Can You Be Charged With?):
"What about sex in a car, as you inquired? If you are parked on a main street during the day and clearly visible to passers-by, that would qualify as a public setting. But, a New York court has ruled that sex in a car was not sex in a public place unless the act could be readily seen by passers-by. (People v. McNamara, 585 N.E.2nd 788 (1991).) So, it really depends on whether your state views the interior of a car as a public or private space, and what the circumstances are of your “parking.” The more visible you are to the casual observer, the more public you are and the likelier you are to be in violation of your state’s laws."

With that being said, is cuddling or kissing considered sexual activity? If so, that means it would be wise to put up car curtains and sunshades when kissing/cuddling or making sure you kiss/cuddle in a part of your house that cannot be seen through windows?

Do the details matter under the law for kissing and cuddling to be considered sexual activity? Kissing: kiss on the cheek, peck on the lips, kissing lips for extended periods, French kissing. Cuddling: normal cuddling where you hug the person while laying down horizontally instead of standing, spooning, etc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We're not going to get drawn down this path here any more than we were down the street, Timothy.

We're not going to get drawn down this path here any more than we were down the street, Timothy.
Enough already with this nonsense.
I can't believe you guys still think I'm trying to troll. Will you guys help reword the question such that it doesn't seem like I'm asking for an opinion? Just because of a single moderator on another website that thinks I'm trolling, the rest of the members/moderators listened to him blindly and really think I'm trolling. The same people who have been harassing and accusing me of trolling from thelaw . com are trying to get my questions unanswered on this website. You can add my Discord and we can call, and I will explain that I'm not trolling. I'm that confident that I'm not trolling. I'm asking a genuine question. If you guys prefer, we can remove the entire description of my paragraph and just have the topic be "Is cuddling or kissing considered sexual activity? In public, can it be seen as indecent exposure?" I understand there may be a lot of trolls on this website, but I'm not one of them. We can't read each other's mind to see if I'm a troll or not, but I thought with my long explanations I would be seen as a serious person.

Last edited:

Just Blue

You have been advised repeatedly on this matter. Enough is enough. Go back under the bridge and finish decorating your tree. Merry Christmas.

You have been advised repeatedly on this matter. Enough is enough. Go back under the bridge and finish decorating your tree. Merry Christmas.
I have not gotten a single answer except someone who said "Kissing and cuddling are generally NOT considered sexual but why in public? "It's just one answer. I don't think that's repeatedly advised. If you're talking about the question regarding 18 and 17 year olds talking dirty, yes I've received great answers especially from Tax Counsel who was also respectful about it. But that doesn't change the fact that cuddling and kissing if it is sexual activity is a completely different question. Yes I'm getting free advice, and I shouldn't complain, but I think the thread closing or ghosting is unjustified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">