• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Foreclosure right for my situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hammercwm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia
Hello everyone! The company I worked for one year ago had a position open in the state of Kentucky where my girlfriend resides. I took the position doing a lateral move and found an apartment to rent in Kentucky. I had a mortgage on the house I lived in in West Virginia and managed, though with difficulty to keep both the mortgage payment and new rent paid. Four months after taking the new position in the company the bean counters informed me that they had looked at the numbers again and the position could not be justified any longer. I was permanently laid off in March. The position I left in West Virginia was filled 1 month before I was laid off and thereore I could not go back. I began drawing unemployment compensation but it is barely half of what my working paychecks were. I was forced to end the rent contract early and move in with my girlfriend where I live now. In the past few months I have also racked up several thousand dollars in medical bills fighting an eye infection that nearly cost me my sight.

The house in WV recently appraised for 18,000 less than what I owe on the mortgage. The neighborhood has taken a severe turn in the wrong direction with drug addicts and other miscreants moving in which started shortly after I moved. I tried to list it with two separate realtors and both said the chances of selling it in that neighborhood were slim and it could realistically stay on the market for many years. The bank refuses to let me refinance because of poor credit and no job. The current interest rate on the loan is 11.5%. They won't do a deed in lieu because it's not worth what the mortgage amount currently is. I see no alternative except letting the bank have it. Would I be considered within my rights to let this go to foreclosure or does anyone see a reason the bank would fight it? It is becoming increasingly difficult to make the payment and I fear that when my unemployment runs out it will force me to let it go anyway. Please don't tell me to get a job, I'm trying daily to find something!

Last edited:

hammercwm

Holding Company

After doing some more research I would like to add to my post this question: If I sold the property to a real estate holding company would it be possible to make payments to them for the difference in the mortgage amount and the sales price to them whatever it may be?

hammercwm

Wouldn't it be nice if life worked that well. The job position I took was meant to open a lot more doors career wise within 2 years. Had I not taken it I would have been stuck in a dead end job for who knows how long. When the opportunity presented itslef it solved two problems immediately. First the promise of career advancement and secon putting me closer to my girlfriend and her family. I was assured by the company that my career would go forward quickly. You can imagine how much of a shock it was when I got canned. The type of career I was in there are very few positions open at any one time. When the opportunity presented itself I naturally jumped on it.

HomeGuru

After doing some more research I would like to add to my post this question: If I sold the property to a real estate holding company would it be possible to make payments to them for the difference in the mortgage amount and the sales price to them whatever it may be?
**A: most of these types of deals are scams.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">