• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is harassment by a landlord a civil right violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amcb53

To Whom It May Concern:
My wife and I live in Westchester County, NY.
We live in a complex with 80 units. Which is private property. We lived here for 8 years. And have always paid the rent on time. We have a lease agreement that goes from year to year. My problem is that my son-in-law has had a problem with this tenant. Who in turn always call the owners when ever my son-in-law is on the property and complains. Which always seems to be on the weekends. In are lease agreement there is a clause that we are responsible for are guest.Evey Friday night we leave to go to Rhode Island to are home. We do not return until late Sunday night. We keep recieveing letters from the management about things my son-in-law so called did over the weekends.They are not going to renew our lease because of these incidents.there saying that as a tenant we are responsible for the behavior of our guest. How can we be responsible for the behavior of our guest if we are 200 miles away. I feel that this pure harassment and a violation of my civil rights.Can I sue them for harassment?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

If a lease agreement says that you're responsible for your guests, then you are. You cannot relieve yourself of that responsibility by traveling. Start your analysis there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">