• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is he entitled to anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blawson042408

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Gerogia

Hi, I am new to this forum. I need some advice and I hope you guys can help. I will try to be as brief as I can.

My husband is 49 years old. He worked for the police department for 18 years then went to the sheriffs department for 13 years. He has not resigned or been terminated. In Dec., he suffered a stroke that left him with vision loss. He has significant coronary artery disease, a weak heart, he has uncontrolled diabetes and diabetic peripheral neuropathy, gout. As a result of the stroke, his concentration and comprehension skills have suffered. He is 6'3" and weighs 373lbs. All of his doctors said he has to go on disability. We filed in Dec and was recently denied. I have filed the request for reconsideration.

He does not have long/short term disability. He has not received a check since January. We have been surviving with the help of churches, friends, neighbors, family and even complete strangers.

He received a letter from POST stating they were suspending his certification as a law enforcement officer due to medical issues. It seems to me that if SS denied him, that would mean they consider him able to do his job. Therefore, the sheriffs dept would have to let him come back to work. (There is no way that he can do his job, he has too many health issues and was told he can not drive). I was told that his retirement at work will have to put him on a disability retirement. When I ask about it, I am basically given the runaround. They told me that he has to be approved for social security before he can retire. They told me that he can go on disability retirement, but it can not happen before he turns 50 and he has to be out of work for 6 months.

We do not have a SS lawyer yet. Please, help me. We have no income coming in and it is taking a toll on him and me. I do not know where to turn next. Thank you very much.

Beth3

Social security has a very specific definition of disability. Your husband being denied by the SSA does not mean he's not disabled for other purposes including his job. As to what the benefits he may qualify for through the police department - disability retirement, pension, etc. - and what those requirements are - nobody responding to your post would know. If you can't get straight answers through his employer, then you may well need to consult with an attorney.

blawson042408

I have tried talking to his human resources department and for some mysterious reason, nobody has a policy handbook.

I did call an attorney today and have a meeting this week. Please wish me luck. Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">