• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is He Financially Responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have a medical condition where I can become ill if my apartment is not cooled properly. About three weeks ago, I informed my landlord that the airhandler in the attic was making odd noises. He came out and inspected it, and said that it was showing signs of failing, and that he would get back to me in a few days. After twelve days, in which I left about seven phone messages, I finally left one saying I would hire somebody myself and take it out of the rent. I got a call back in five minutes. His favorite excuse is to say he was out of town. Then he said he'd ordered a part and they sent the wrong one. Then he said he would have someone come in the next day. So finally a repair person came out, and found that he needed a part which has to be ordered and may not arrive for a week. It is 85 degrees in my apartment and I have not slept well for three nights. I obtained a medical letter from my doctor, but am not sure how to go about using it. In the meantime I am out three hundred dollars because I have had to purchase a portable air conditioner until my central air unit is repaired. Can I be reimbursed by my landlord, since he was given immediate notification of the repair work needed, and has been taking a long time to fix the unit? If so, how do I prove that this was a medically necessary accommodation whi ch was ignored? I did tell him verbally that I have a medical condition but this has gone on long enough.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
what US state? Telling us the name of the city may prove to be helpful as well...

Zigner

You have remedies available in such a situation, but buying an a/c and being reimbursed for the cost is not one of those remedies. You may be able to negotiate so that the landlord buys the unit from you.

Has the a/c in your unit been repaired yet?

No, it hasn't. The repair guy came this morning and informed us that it might be a week before the unit is repaired. We are still expecting very hot and humid temperatures, so it was buy the air conditioner or stay at a hotel for the week, which we can't afford.

Zigner

Have you put any of your requests in writing?
Is the a/c specifically mentioned in your lease?
The LL has provided the accommodation of allowing you to install a window a/c. Luckily, today is forecast to be the hottest day in Easton, according to AccuWeather. After today, temperatures should drop considerably, then warm slightly Sunday & Monday before falling again.

EDIT: Looking at the temperature history, the weather has been in the low to mid 70's up until today. Why didn't you just get a fan instead of a $300 a/c?

Have you put any of your requests in writing?
Is the a/c specifically mentioned in your lease?
The LL has provided the accommodation of allowing you to install a window a/c. Luckily, today is forecast to be the hottest day in Easton, according to AccuWeather. After today, temperatures should drop considerably, then warm slightly Sunday & Monday before falling again.

EDIT: Looking at the temperature history, the weather has been in the low to mid 70's up until today. Why didn't you just get a fan instead of a $300 a/c?
I have not put any requests in writing yet because the repair guy only came today. It was his suggestion, not the landlords, to buy a window unit. The landlord has neither offered nor allowed any accommodation, even though I verbally confirmed my medical condition. (BTW, we couldn't use a window unit because this is an old building and the screens are not removable without damaging them.) So we bought a portable A/C. The lease specifies that the landlord will provide heat and A/C and maintain any repairs on the building.

Zigner

I have not put any requests in writing yet because the repair guy only came today. It was his suggestion, not the landlords, to buy a window unit. The landlord has neither offered nor allowed any accommodation, even though I verbally confirmed my medical condition. (BTW, we couldn't use a window unit because this is an old building and the screens are not removable without damaging them.) So we bought a portable A/C. The lease specifies that the landlord will provide heat and A/C and maintain any repairs on the building.
...and he is doing so (repairing the unit).

FarmerJ

before the next time around send to your LL a written on real paper letter from your Dr outlining your medical condition Send this via confirmed mail delivery then next time around if it breaks again call the LL and back up the phone call with a real on paper letter and I would say to give three days to get it fixed and if its not with in 3 days call your city housing inspections desk and tell them about your copy of the lease and your medical condition and then let them come out and order the repair to be done , will your LL jump for joy , Not likely but too bad for him. Keep in mind while inspections is there they may look around and could possibly find other things such as poor emergency egress to cite the LL for as well.

before the next time around send to your LL a written on real paper letter from your Dr outlining your medical condition Send this via confirmed mail delivery then next time around if it breaks again call the LL and back up the phone call with a real on paper letter and I would say to give three days to get it fixed and if its not with in 3 days call your city housing inspections desk and tell them about your copy of the lease and your medical condition and then let them come out and order the repair to be done , will your LL jump for joy , Not likely but too bad for him. Keep in mind while inspections is there they may look around and could possibly find other things such as poor emergency egress to cite the LL for as well.
Thanks, FarmerJ. I called my doctor and explained the situation and my husband is picking up the letter from my doctor today after work. I will certainly have it on standby for any future troubles with cooling or heating!

Consider your portable AC an important backup system that you now own and control. That's worth 300 bucks.
Good Point! I wish to thank everyone who weighed in. When I am symptomatic it is hard to think logically. This was a huge inconvenience, but we are now motivated to try for a new location to live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">