• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a scam for attorney to contact you by email in regards to survivor's benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missbenz10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

HI,
I recently received an email from an attorney in Malaysia about a client of his who recently passed away and has an unclaimed amount of benefits. He claims that the deceased has no next to kin so after doing an ancestry search based on last name, he found me and is willing to award me the benefits. I googled his name and law firm and it seems that it does exist but I want to know is this a scam??

Isis1

HI,
I recently received an email from an attorney in Malaysia about a client of his who recently passed away and has an unclaimed amount of benefits. He claims that the deceased has no next to kin so after doing an ancestry search based on last name, he found me and is willing to award me the benefits. I googled his name and law firm and it seems that it does exist but I want to know is this a scam??
do you know of any ancesters in maylasia?

and it is not unethical for an attorney to contact you. it's kind of what they do.

but as with anything out of the country.....i'd hit the delete button.

xylene

Smells Funny

HI,
Do you have any ancestors in Malaysia?

"willing" If you are entitled to them it is not a matter of will.

Basically DO NOT give any bank information.

Don't send any money.

Don't give any information that could be used to establish credit Namely your Social Security Number, Birthday, Mothers Maiden.... etc.

Ask a LOT of questions.

How did they get your email? How did they find you? How are they sure you are the heir?

If they are evasive about details, are unwilling to disclose information, or want money or credit info, you know this is a scam.

Many scams are very elaborate. Fake web pages, even fake telephone numbers answered by people doing the scam are very very very real.

ALSO - Is the amount of money realistic? Is this a few hundred dollars or claims of hundreds of thousands of dollars? Would you really have a malaysian relative who is rich, but you were unaware of, who had nothing or no one to give his estate too? ;):rolleyes:

Last edited:

swalsh411

Do you have any ancestors in Malaysia?

"willing" If you are entitled to them it is not a matter of will.

Basically DO NOT give any bank information.

Don't send any money.

Don't give any information that could be used to establish credit Namely your Social Security Number, Birthday, Mothers Maiden.... etc.

Ask a LOT of questions.

How did they get your email? How did they find you? How are they sure you are the heir?

If they are evasive about details, are unwilling to disclose information, or want money or credit info, you know this is a scam.

Many scams are very elaborate. Fake web pages, even fake telephone numbers answered by people doing the scam are very very very real.

ALSO - Is the amount of money realistic? Is this a few hundred dollars or claims of hundreds of thousands of dollars? Would you really have a malaysian relative who is rich, but you were unaware of, who had nothing or no one to give his estate too? ;):rolleyes:
What? Are you serious? You actually think this may not be a scam?

xylene

What? Are you serious? You actually think this may not be a scam?
Clearly the poster has some reason to believe it may not be a scam.

The matter has all the hallmarks of a scam, a point which I was quite clear on.

Replying to an email does not result in one being pulled into a black hole.

There is no harm in asking questions in response to an email, so long as information is not divulged.

If the poster recieves no reply or the reply asks for sketchy info or does not provide info, then he has his answer.

Many people, including myself, reply to scam emails. If you think the original ham fisted bulk mail attempts to persuade me of a large foreign sum of money are funny, the personalized responses are even more hilarious.

Yes Mr. Esteemed Xylene...

pattytx

Malaysia? Not unless you know people in Malaysia.

I do have to say, though, that I was contacted by something like a "we'll do this for you" company, and I thought it was a scam, too. But figured the only thing it could have been was life insurance proceeds from one of the grandparents who had passed several years before and, if it was, I could look it up on the Unclaimed Property website of the state myself. I did, and didn't need them to do squat. :D

Betty

I would be very careful here unless you know people in Malaysia - then still be careful what info you give out.

It "sounds like" a scam. Definitely don't send any money.

Dandy Don

Ask him to send you the decedent's date of birth, date of death and city/state of death and obituary notice so you can determine if you are related to this person or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">