• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it against the law to record a phone call for personal use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tra_la_la

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have been getting threaten by my landlord. So when I had to call him this past weekend, I recorded the call so I could replay it later for myself. My only reason to do this is that I become flustered and start having a panic attack by the time I get of the phone with him because he threatens to come to my work, my parent's AFC, and my brother's work.

Is it illegal to record the phone calls for my own personal use. My landlord doesn't know that I am recording him.

Thanks

mlane58

In Michigan any person who willfully uses any device to overhear or record a conversation without the consent of all parties is guilty of illegal eavesdropping, whether or not they were present for the conversation. Illegal eavesdropping can be punished as a felony carrying a jail term of up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539c.

Unless you want to spend some time in jail, you need to stop doing this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">