• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it fair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quest12345

What is the name of your state? CO

My new employer processes vacation time in a manner that I am not used to.

At other places I have worked, you accrue vacation according to how much time you work. So if you only averaged 20 hours per work, but qualiified for 4 weeks of vacation per year, at the end of 1 year, you would receive 2 weeks of vacation pay at 8 hours per day.

In the above scenario, my new employer would give you 4 weeks (20 days) of vacation but only pay you 4 hours per day (4 hours of vacation time unpaid). You are also not eligible to use your vacation for 1 year. So if I worked 20 hours per week from January 1st to December 31st 2006, I would be eligible for 4 weeks of vacation from January 1st to December 31st 2007 at 4 hours paid/4 hours unpaid per day. If I then worked full-time from January 1st to December 31st 2007, I would be eligible for 4 weeks of vacation at 8 paid hours per day beginning Jan 1st 2008. I must also use up my 2006 vacation first.

Is this legal?

momm2500

vacation time

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require payment for time not worked, such as vacations, sick leave or holidays (federal or otherwise). These benefits are a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal. It would also be legal if they did not provide vacation at all.

wnbama

Why would it NOT be fair? Avg 20hrs a week is consider part-time,(at most compaines, I've ever worked for) so why would you think, your vacation hrs would be based on FULL-TIME hrs if on avg you worked part time hours?

It makes sense you me....

VeronicaLodge

wow most places ive worked dont even give vacation to part time employees and most full time employees only get 2 weeks, consider yourself lucky!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">