• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it fraud or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LisaS

Recently my apartment building in Illinois was sold to a new management company. Prior to this switch our basic cable was free to us. The new landlord now wants to charge us $16 a month to maintain our cable. I was told by the cable company that he is charged $12 to have cable in each of his apartments. He manages 48 apartments which means that he is making an extra $192.00 a month. When he informed us of this change the letter stated that as of January 1st we were going to have to pay $16 dollars more a month to keep our cable. Isn't what he's doing fraud since it's only costing him $12 a month? He also states we are to pay him directly...not the cable company. Please let me know if what he is doing is legal. Thank you!

D

David J. Miller

If you are on a fixed term lease and your lease says the L pays the cable, he cannot make you pay the cable bill until the lease expires. If m/m lease, he can change this rule. It would be legal for him to charge a surplus for the cable. Call it administrative costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">