• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to contact a former employee of a company you are in litigation with to ask them how company conducted business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I am involved in litigation with a company who I believe did some bad things behind closed doors.

The company of course is denying everything in discovery.

Would it be illegal if I contacted former employees who no longer work for the company and ask them about what happen there?

For example, if I say something like " Would you be willing to talk about your former company" or would this be considered illegal?

Thanks.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I am involved in litigation with a company who I believe did some bad things behind closed doors.

The company of course is denying everything in discovery.

Would it be illegal if I contacted former employees who no longer work for the company and ask them about what happen there?

For example, if I say something like " Would you be willing to talk about your former company" or would this be considered illegal?

Thanks.
Is this a criminal case or civil? Do you have an attorney?

quincy

Its civil case but I did not know if calling ex-employees was considered like harassment or something like that.

Do you think I should ask this question in the civil litigation forum instead?
Your thread is fine here.

If you think the testimony of ex-employees can help you support your case, you can contact them. They don't have to talk to you, though (absent a subpoena).

adjusterjack

Its civil case but I did not know if calling ex-employees was considered like harassment or something like that.
Not if you make just one request and then go away if you are declined.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong or illegal about contacting potential witnesses and seeking their testimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">