• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a pharmacist to change my prescription ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carrie417

If You have a 60 tablets 1 every 6 hours directed by a doctor it is a 15 day supply but when I went to get my new prescription was told the pharmacist put 30 day supply on my prior prescription .Now for days have been asking them to fix it they refuse my medicine is now 6 days past due so I am without. I don't know what to do .

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Was there a prescription refill? A pharmacist can be restricted in how much they can fill at a time.

You can contact your doctor if there is a problem with the prescription.

carrie417

Its the same prescription I have been receiving for a long time now , wasn't a refill . Was no issue with the script. There is nothing my doctor can do the way the submitted it stops my next one from any other pharmacy to fill until the 30 days are up

carrie417

My state is Maryland

I do not understand, if its written as 1 tablet every six hours then made it for 30 days . how could the math add up ?

quincy

My state is Maryland

I do not understand, if its written as 1 tablet every six hours then made it for 30 days . how could the math add up ?
Thank you for providing your state name.

I don't know the answer to your question.

You can take the prescription bottle to your doctor so he can look at the labeling.

It is possible there was a pharmacist error. It is also possible there was a physician error.

carrie417

The insurance agent told me that it was against federal policy what they did because they became the prescriber and went against my doctor's orders that they had to fix it or they could be audited but I don't understand exactly what that means against the law ? or just a policy? &,audited by who ? When I called the pharmacy I was told they see the mistake and would take care of it asap but 4 days later....they still haven't gotten to it. I really need my medicine ,it is over due now.

quincy

The insurance agent told me that it was against federal policy what they did because they became the prescriber and went against my doctor's orders that they had to fix it or they could be audited but I don't understand exactly what that means against the law ? or just a policy? &,audited by who ? When I called the pharmacy I was told they see the mistake and would take care of it asap but 4 days later....they still haven't gotten to it. I really need my medicine ,it is over due now.
So you received the 60 pills and that was to last you 15 days, at which time you would need a new prescription filled. But, because the pharmacist put 30 days instead of 15 days, you cannot get your new prescription filled.

The pharmacist cannot alter the doctor's prescription itself but potentially could have erred in printing out the label or entering the prescription into the pharmacy's database. At least the pharmacy told you they see where they made the error.

I would speak to your doctor or have your pharmacist speak to your doctor so you can get the pills you need.

carrie417

Yep that is exactly what happened , I have spoken to everyone (insurance ,doctor) all refer me to this pharmacy , I also have my prescription in hand that's been due but until the pharmacy fixes it I have no medicine . They didn't admit they made a mistake right away the insurance literally had to call them they kept saying it wasn't their mistake up until that point. Now they are taking their time to fix . I was hoping to find out if its legal to even do this and if not who could I contact .ty for your help.

adjusterjack

You have the prescription in hand? Go to another pharmacy (different company) and get a new prescription. Pay for it if you have to.

Arguing the legality and/or blame isn't going to get you any medication.

quincy

Yep that is exactly what happened , I have spoken to everyone (insurance ,doctor) all refer me to this pharmacy , I also have my prescription in hand that's been due but until the pharmacy fixes it I have no medicine . They didn't admit they made a mistake right away the insurance literally had to call them they kept saying it wasn't their mistake up until that point. Now they are taking their time to fix . I was hoping to find out if its legal to even do this and if not who could I contact .ty for your help.
It is not legal for a pharmacist to simply alter a doctor's prescription. They are not allowed to do that.

But a good pharmacist might notice an error in the prescription as written (perhaps a conflict with another drug the patient is taking) and contact the doctor for corrections or to verify a prescription. A new prescription can be issued.

With prescription errors, human error definitely plays a role. Errors can be traced to a pharmacist's misreading of a doctor's handwriting. There can be data entry errors.

Your goal should be to get your medication and, if the pharmacist erred in filing your prescription, the error could be reported to the Pharmacy Board later.

Maryland Board of Pharmacy complaints:
https://health.maryland.gov/pharmacy/Pages/complaint.aspx

Because prescriptions are generally entered in a national database, if one pharmacy won't fill a prescription, other pharmacies may not fill it either.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Dispensing FEWER pills than indicated is not "modifying the prescription."
In most cases, a pharmacist doesn't have a DUTY to fill and can refuse for many reasons.
Your recourse is to get a new prescription from your doctor and find a different pharmacy.

quincy

Dispensing FEWER pills than indicated is not "modifying the prescription."
In most cases, a pharmacist doesn't have a DUTY to fill and can refuse for many reasons.
Your recourse is to get a new prescription from your doctor and find a different pharmacy.
The issue is not that fewer pills were dispensed than prescribed (s/he received 60 pills) but that another prescription cannot be filled for 30 days instead of the correct 15 days. There was an error in number of days before the prescription can be refilled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">