• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Legal for a Property Management Co to Impound Taxes and Ins ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state?CA
Is it Legal for a Property Management Co to Impound Taxes and Insurance without an agreement to do this ?

I know with my previous mortgages the Lender was required to make a separate agreement or at least I was given specific notification in black and white if they would be escrowing the funds to pay T&I.

I understand that a Mgmt Co needs funds to pay for monthly recurring bills, but this is a larger amount to withhold from the property owner and there are perks you get for having larger accounts in banks; so I feel short changed by the Mgmt Co impounding the t&i without clearly saying that they would do this. They already have $5000 + funds in reserve per the contract to cover t&I. and the contract states that I have 7 days to reimburse the Mgmt Co if they go below the reserve balance.

I ask this question in the Real Estate section ( not contract ) because I am wondering if there is some technical rule in RE that requires Lenders ( and fiduciary Real estate professionals & practices) on how to treat impounding of t&I....

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a contractual matter. If you don't agree, then find a different management company.

FarmerJ

1 I suggest you pre pay the taxes and insurance and then let them try to justify holding anything back from you to pay what has already been paid. 2 you didnt say how many months are left on the contract your currently in but I suggest that if your not happy with them to do what the contract calls for to prevent a renewal

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">