• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a public high school to display a religious symbol of school grounds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natsu

Hi.
A student at a local High School near me recently died, and now the school is putting up a cross for a few days, so that students can sign it. My question is, of course, is this actually legal? This, mixed with the fact that in a recent letter home to students about this, they said that they would keep the deceased's family in their prayers, makes me question is this school is adequately respecting the division between Church and State. If it matters, this is happening in New York, and I'm happy to supply any needed additional details.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Was the deceased a Christian?

They are honoring a life. They are not penalizing you for not converting to any form of Christian denomination. They are not even requiring that you sign the cross.

Furthermore, many non-Christian faith traditions have prayer as part of their religious practices.

They are not establishing a religion that students are encouraged to follow or obey.

Please read about the life of Roger Williams before you graduate high school.

adjusterjack

Hi.

is this school is adequately respecting the division between Church and State.
The US Constitution doesn't say that there is "division between Church and State."

It says, in the 1st Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"
Even the US Supreme Court is divided on how that applies to the display of religious symbols in schools and government buildings and rules on a case by case basis based on a variety of factors.

Read the following article and educate yourself on those factors:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2007/06/religious-displays.pdf

Then see if you can come up with your own answer.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Hi.
A student at a local High School near me recently died, and now the school is putting up a cross for a few days, so that students can sign it. My question is, of course, is this actually legal? This, mixed with the fact that in a recent letter home to students about this, they said that they would keep the deceased's family in their prayers, makes me question is this school is adequately respecting the division between Church and State. If it matters, this is happening in New York, and I'm happy to supply any needed additional details.
So you would like to further the grief of the family and the friends of the deceased child by making a stink about a religious icon that you object to? What in the blazes is wrong with you? :mad:

Reactions: cbg

CdwJava

Let the family and friends of this child grieve as they will. I am sure your discomfort will be minimal ... theirs will be much longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">