• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for city to charge for services not rendered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenjersey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I want to know whether it's legal for a city to charge for services (in this case storm drains) that are not provided to homeowners. In this particular case, there are several city blocks that are charged for storm drains, but storm drains do not exist on these city blocks, and the city has no plans to put them in.

tankueray

If the city holds a Federally mandated Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit, they can charge all property owners within the ubanized area with a storm water services fee. In my city it is determined by the surface area of the building's roof. I would recommend that you call the Washington environmental protection agency or the EPA to determine if they have an MS4 permit. You may also request a copy of it to read any additional requirements the city may have added. Here's the link: NPDES Municipal Stormwater General Permit

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">