• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for the local government to contract with the mayor’s company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hostepher

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In the state of Ohio, is it legal for the local government (city/village) to contract with that local government’s mayor’s company?

While it does seem highly unethical, is it actually illegal? I tried looking through the Ohio revised code but could not find my answer. I’m more concerned that my local government is doing business with our mayor’s company and we’re going to end up getting sued. When I inquired, I am told to mind my business and if I get a response, I get “we’ve looked into it and it’s ok”.

I am not a government employee - really just a concerned citizen.

Hostepher

Hey @quincy - I’m not sure. His company has been the de facto provider of that particular service for years. I’m honestly not sure my local government is intelligent enough to know that they need to publicly advertise or go through the bidding process. I’m not saying that to be rude, I’ve just seen other areas of incompetence that have concerned me which is why I’m not accepting their answer so easily.

I just don’t want to see us get sued for incompetence or negligence when we really need the money for our schools, public property maintenance, beautification and our roads.

For the sake of the argument, let’s assume there was competitive bidding - where does that put us? I mean it’s a clear conflict of interest but I don’t know that makes it illegal. Just unethical. One of the reasons I wouldn’t re-elect the mayor. His response was pretty unprofessional and less than becoming. Granted I’m surprised he responded at all.

quincy

If there was competitive bidding and the mayor was upfront about his ownership interest in one of the companies, and it was determined that the mayor’s company had the best overall proposal when compared to the others bidding on the project, and if the mayor removed himself from any voting on who would be awarded the project, then it would not be as problematic as it could be if the mayor knew what the other companies were bidding and purposely undercut their bids to win the contract.

More needs to be known about how it came to be that the mayor’s company was awarded the contract.

quincy

Right. That is one of a few things that need to be known. I sort of touched on that when I mentioned the mayor removing himself from any voting. The Ethics Commission adds other important factors.

For the sake of the argument, let’s assume there was competitive bidding - where does that put us? I mean it’s a clear conflict of interest but I don’t know that makes it illegal. Just unethical.
Don't assume, find out if it was put out to tender.
[link removed]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">