• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal malpractice when my personal injury lawyer did not sue owner of vehicle that hit me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiousv

What is the name of your state? WA
I was rear ended by a driver who was driving a friend's car with friend's knowledge and consent.

Driver himself did not have insurance because he had 3rd degree suspended driver license and had history of DUI.

Friend (owner) of vehicle had liability coverage so my lawyer went after but he did not sue the owner of vehicle personally..

When police officer asked the owner ..he said he was out of state at the time of accident but the driver(bad one) had access to the vehicle that hit me.

I asked him why did not you sue car owner personally he said because he does not think owner is responsible..

I argued owner knew (or should have known) about DUI and 3rd degree license suspension ..than owner is responsible for negligible entrustment or vicarious liability ..but my lawyer was not convinced and he did not sue owner even after my request.

Is this legal malpractice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? WA
I was rear ended by a driver who was driving a friend's car with friend's knowledge and consent.

Driver himself did not have insurance because he had 3rd degree suspended driver license and had history of DUI.

Friend (owner) of vehicle had liability coverage so my lawyer went after but he did not sue the owner of vehicle personally..

When police officer asked the owner ..he said he was out of state at the time of accident but the driver(bad one) had access to the vehicle that hit me.

I asked him why did not you sue car owner personally he said because he does not think owner is responsible..

I argued owner knew (or should have known) about DUI and 3rd degree license suspension ..than owner is responsible for negligible entrustment or vicarious liability ..but my lawyer was not convinced and he did not sue owner even after my request.

Is this legal malpractice?
If your attorney files a suit against a party that he knows/believes is not legally responsible, he can be hit with sanctions for abuse of process.

justalayman

You had the option of retaining a different lawyer if you did not agree with the position of your current lawyer.

Just as a point of precision

Your lawyer didn’t sue anybody: you did. Your attorney represented you and filed your suit on behalf of you.

Mass_Shyster

The driver caused the damage, but the owner’s insurance covered the damages. What would have been the point of naming the owner when the same policy covered both?

justalayman

The driver caused the damage, but the owner’s insurance covered the damages. What would have been the point of naming the owner when the same policy covered both?
Because if the insurance was not adequate to cover all claims, if the owner was deemed liable as well as the driver, there would be two pockets to reach into for the uncovered damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">