• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to ask for private donations through the mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ForKeeps

Private meaning, not a non profit. For example, if a person becomes ill and needs money for medical costs. Along those lines. Not an actual charity, but charity-like in nature.

Last edited:

BOR

If I remember correctly forkeeps, I read a US SC case once that dealt with such fundraising issues, live though, not by mail.

The SC upheld it as a 1st AM right!

As long as the money is used for the announced purposes, there is not fraud, etc.

My research if I was recall was based on a case where a person put on his web site that he would eat his rabbit if X $$ were not collected by a certain date.

I did some research on fundraising, and I remember the 1st AM issue.

tranquility

If it isn't legal, most every college student has been a criminal. (Although it's probably more electronic today, I would say those over a certain age who has not written home with a "please mom, send money" is quite unusual.)

ForKeeps

If I remember correctly forkeeps, I read a US SC case once that dealt with such fundraising issues, live though, not by mail.

The SC upheld it as a 1st AM right!

As long as the money is used for the announced purposes, there is not fraud, etc.

My research if I was recall was based on a case where a person put on his web site that he would eat his rabbit if X $$ were not collected by a certain date.

I did some research on fundraising, and I remember the 1st AM issue.
So the guy got in trouble, and had to take it to the supreme court? Sounds like fun. What do you mean by live?

BOR

I don't remember the specifics of the case, but for the SC to entertain a case, there MUST be a federal element, here, it was the 1st AM.

I think it had to do with some kind of tax being levied on the fundraiser or such??

By LIVE, I mean such as a band playing at a club or such, not by mail.

I would also add that candidates for political office are always asking for donations via the mail, in person, at church, on tv, on the phone, at dinner, in my sleep.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">