• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to buy email lists online?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhartman

I want to advertise my product to lawyers across Houston area.
Is it legal to buy bulk email lists and send a mass promotional email marketing campaign?
You can buy the emails from companies [references deleted]

Thanks in advance.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Is it legal to buy bulk email lists and send a mass promotional email marketing campaign?

Thanks in advance.
It is not illegal to buy e-mail lists. But you need to ensure that the person from whom you are buying the list got the e-mail addresses legitimately before you use them or resell them. And as a lawyer myself, I can tell you that all advertising e-mail my firm gets goes straight to the junk folder for deletion. Most firms in my area do the same thing. So I question just how effective that strategy will be.

FlyingRon

I aggressively report unsolicited emails to the spam bots. Many ISPs will cut you off quickly with a lot of rejects or spam reports. You also induce more ire than you will gain customers by sending unsolicited emails. Many such as myself have an outright refusual to deal with spammers no matter what they'reselling. You should also make sure that your usage of the list is legal under the CAUSE and other laws. That includes making sure you clearly identify yourself, that you provide a prominent opt out process in the email, and it is clearly marked for the slimy marketing attempt it is.

quincy

Thanks in advance.
Here is a link to information from the FTC on the CAN-SPAM Act:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business
I agree with FlyingRon. Sending unsolicited emails is likely to do you more harm than good.

laravel9210

Thanks in advance.
yes it is legal, mostly companies buy email list to boost their sales

quincy

yes it is legal, mostly companies buy email list to boost their sales
Well ... it depends on from where the email list came. And the emails must be sent within the confines of the CAN-SPAM Act.

It is questionable whether mass emailings actually “boost” sales. The receipt of unwanted, unsolicited emails from a company can have the opposite effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">